Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
Inner Sphere News Thread
« on: March 16, 2010, 04:05:44 PM »
For press releases and other news articles.

Inner Sphere, Periphery, and Independent factions may post articles to this thread. Clan factions must find an intermediary to post any stories they originate.

All articles, unless sent to the GMs for posting as an INN article or concealed by an intelligence order, must be posted in the name of the originating faction.

ComStar and the Word of Blake reserve the right to take punitive action against any nation whose media misrepresent their nationality.

OOC Note: this is not/not going to be a locked thread; however, post propaganda at your own risk. Any faction that undermines its credibility will not be able to count on GM intervention if subsequent "serious" news stories are ignored or downplayed.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 04:07:30 PM by Dave Baughman »
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Apollyon, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Inner Sphere News Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:09:52 AM »
TerraSec Director Resigns
"New focus on national security," promises replacement

Following yesterday's security incident on the grounds of Star League headquarters, General Paul Fujimori, Director of Terran Security, resigned after accepting respondibility for the past year's string of security incidents.

Replacing Fujimori in the post is General Mary Durant, a veteran of the THAF Special Forces. Durant, in a prepared statement read earlier today, opined:

"The brutal assault on General Steiner-Davion highlights the fact that we can no longer rely upon Terra's symbolism as the homeworld of humanity to protect us from terrorism. Under my leadership, TerraSec will work closely with the THAF to develop a new focus on national security and to prevent any further incidents from occuring on Terran soil."

General Steiner-Davion remains in critical condition at an undisclosed location. The Terran government is characterizing the assault as a terrorist act.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Apollyon, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Lord Harlock

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:29:01 PM »
Corvette Destroys Battleship- Story Originally from Federated News Service
The FSS "Never Die" Robinson destroys Farragut Class Battleship over Maram

News out of the Outback is not good. Marquess Helen Trempeleau of Filtvelt is calling the actions of New Avalon to be pathetic as four worlds have gone dark. The worlds of Vackisujfalu, Gronholt, Maram, Great Gorge have been invaded by the Smoke Jaguar remnants known as the Dark. Escaping merchants jumpships reported that Dark Warships including a Star League era Congress Frigate and McKenna orbital bombarded Great Gorge. Loss of life can not be estimated at this time due to the invasion of the world, but estimates are in the millions.  

But in this disaster that claimed a warship and most of the forces in the area, the FSS Robinson took on a Dark battleship and escaped after destroying the ship. The commander of the ship Vice Admiral Grant made this statement as his ship returned to the President Marie Davion Shipyards. "The Robinson and her crew will never admit defeat, and we will return to Maram to avenge those that died to the Dark."

Vice Admiral Grant is credited with the defeat of a large force of Dark near Killborne in 3062 that lead to the initial defeat of the Dark in the earlier part of the decade. Federated News Service will continue to report on the Dark Invasion as more details become available.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:21:01 AM by Lord Harlock »

Jeyar

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:09:20 PM »
Taurus Seeks Loans

Grover Shraplen today has announced that the Taurian Concordat is looking for loans, from the scale of individuals to entire nations, as well as access to additional factory space across the periphery, inner sphere and clans that the Star League has indicated have shown an acceptable willingness to work with the Inner Sphere in a non-predatory manor. All deals will be at least considered.

The reason for this unprecedented action is to allow the Concordat to fight a group known collectively as the Dark. This group has killed already millions of Taurians, as well as is purported to have murdered additional millions of Federated Suns people. The Concordat wishes to take the fight to the Dark, and bring an end to their reign of terror. To do so, they need both additional loans and funds, as well as additional factory space. They already have the will, they now need the materials.

The Dark are purported to be a group made out of a core of what was the Smoke Jaguars, plus a group of clan-pirates that seem to have managed to bide their time in the shadows of the clans. This group seems to have no problems with genocide, and initial analysis shows that ignoring this problem allows it to grow stronger and broader. If not stopped now, the devastation WILL reach hundreds of worlds, and billions of people. Allow the Concordat to excise this darkness from the stars.

[OOC] The TC is looking for loans of any size, but will not glibly take just any loan – but like I said in the above, I'll seriously look at almost anything. In addition, I need to have LOTS of guest facilities. I'd like to pretty much rent all you aren't using shoot, I will even gladly rent ones you ARE using for simplicity and allow you to use them yourself at cost (just tell me so I can not overbook a facility). Yeah, I plan to GO THERE. [/OOC]

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 10:06:31 AM »
BREAKING NEWS
CLANS LAUNCH DEEP RAID ON THARKAD
ESTATES GENERAL NUKED

24 July 3069 - VOICE OF TRUTH

"This is Judith Pellerin, reporting for Voice of Truth News from Planet Westerstede in the Lyran Commonwealth. News has just reached us of a massive nuclear explosion on Planet Tharkad. Details remain unconfirmed, but it appears that Clan special forces have infiltrated the Lyran Capital system and detonated a large-scale nuclear device over the Triad - decapitating the Lyran government. The whereabouts of Archon Peter are currently unknown, but this tragedy represents a dark new development in the ongoing fight against Clan Genocide."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:16:18 AM by Dave Baughman »

chaosxtreme

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »
FWL Offers Open Contract to Lyran Mercs...all of them

"Today in one of the final acts of the interim Parliament Interim Speaker of Parliament Connor Maclir signed into law a bill offering standing contracts to Lyran flagged mercenaries, and Lyran Regular units turning mercenary."

"This body, be it so resolved based upon the learned advice of the Solicitor-General that the Lyran Commonwealth has defaulted on all its MRBC sanctioned contracts as such contracts require the authority of both a Archon and an Estates General to be in effect, being that at this time there is neither a recognized Archon nor a recognized Estates General this body does hereby affirm and acknowledge the following sections of spending bill 4077th to be made law within the Free Worlds League by the authority of this Parliament.

Section I:

We offer standard mercenary contract terms to all Mercenary units that were previously employed by the Lyran Commonwealth until the Lyran Commonwealth breached its contract by the dissolution of their Estates General and their Archon. This pay rate to be the rate under their now violated contract with the Lyran Commonwealth + 10% date of service to begin at date offer is accepted by Mercenary Unit.

Section II:
The Free Worlds League will provide legal council to all units, accepting at minimum a two year contract with the Free Worlds League under the auspices of Section I of this bill. Such legal counsel shall be made available to the unit to pursue both remuneration against any successor Lyran Commonwealth state before the MRBC for their violation of the contract and provide protection against any successor Lyran state attempting to falsely claim the mercenary unit has violated its contract with the Commonwealth. Such legal services to be available for a period no shorter than 10 years from the signing of a contract with the Free Worlds League.

Section III
Mercenary units lacking integrated jumpship and dropship support may likewise receive no-cost movement to FWL sanctioned military postings provided they tender a request for this service at the time of contract service.

Section IV
Being that there is no Lyran state to provide pay or basic services to the soldiers of this fallen regime, much as many of today's Mercenary unit's owe their current existence due to the dissolution of the Terran Hegemony and other states of that era. Regular Lyran Line units defecting to Free Worlds League territory (or declaring their intent to do so while within Lyran Territory) will be allowed to incorporate into Mercenary Firms under Free Worlds League law and be offered the same initial contract terms as specified in the above document.

Be it so Resolved by this Parliament, by the will of the People of the Free Worlds League, and their representatives of this Parliament.

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 10:58:18 PM »
INN LIVE EXCLUSIVE: DAPHNE ROWE TO ADDRESS L.C.
10 August 3069

"...financial correspondence on Outreach is reporting another record-setting week for Terran shipbuilding stock after insider sources leaked news that the Space Force has ordered at least two more--"

"We interrupt this broadcast to bring you break news on the crisis in the Lyran Commonwealth. Janet Olivera, reporting live from Bolan with the latest development."

--------

"Do we have feed? OK, OK, Zachary, this is Janet Olivera coming to you live from Bolan City. As you can see, its close to midnight here but the streets are full of protestors and police. We haven't seen something like this, well, not since the Quetta Land War in 3060. The situation started to degenerate here when word reached us from the New India HPG that former Duchess Daphne Rowe was not only alive but would be address the Lyran Commonwealth some time this morning local time."

"The local authorities immediately banned broadcasting the speech, but INN - in our committment to oppose censorship and bring the truth to our viewers - is refusing to cooperate with this naked attempt at press intimidation. In response to our decision, the local authorities have threatend to arrest anyone who watches INN, hey, HEY!"

From the left side of the frame, a police officer barges in and pushes Olivera out of frame, "This is an unlawful broadcast!" he declares flatly, "We are confiscating this equipment. If you resist you will all be arrested."

From off-camera a voice can be heard shouting, "Get your hands off of her, Tharkan schwein!" and a hurled glass bottle pegs the policeman in the head. Olivera, still out of frame, shierks.

That Terran anchor's voice bleeds over the live feed, "Julia? Julia! Are you all right?"

Cannonshop

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 01:09:31 AM »

For immediate Public Release:

When in the Course of Human Events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them to another, and to assume among the powers of the stars, the separate and equal station to which the laws of Nature entitle them,  a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them  to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights,  that among those rights are the right to life, liberty and property, that to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, and that whenever any oform of government becomes destructive of these ends,  it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute a new Government, laying its foundation on the principles and organizing its powers in such form as to them shalll seem most likely to protect their rights.  Prudence, indeed will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transietn causees: and accordingly all experience has taught that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while Evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evidences a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, or to abandon them to predation from outsiders, or to reduce them to poverty, invasions, horror, or death,  it is the duty of the people, and their right, to throw off that government, to establish new guards to their security and prosperity.

Such has been the sufference of these several worlds and systems.  Firstly and most anciently abused by the Rim Worlds Republic, and then, by the Star League's corrupt leaders of the past, and then severally by the Lyran Commonwealth's neglect, excessive taxation, and finally intentional abandonment when under crisis and facing invasion.

In accordance with the Articles that formed the Lyran Commonwealth, we declare independence from that body, to seek our own future, further, as we withdraw from that body, these united independent systems demand the return of that which has been taken under false pretense from us by the same, and we request recognition of our sovereign right to withdraw from the War, to be left alone to deal with whom we will under terms of our choosing, to trade fairly with anyone else of our choosing, and to conduct diplomacy on our own terms with whomever we wish, to include open communication, trade, free travel, and to bar these same from anyone we so deem necessary.

With malice toward none, and charity for all, we do declare our rightful independence and sovereignty, and our allegiance between one another.

Duchess Debra Macaulliffe, Arluna

Charles Vanh, Speaker of the Assembly of Citizens of Kowloon

Everett Reynolds, President of Parlaiment, Australia

Karline Schrakenberg, Duchess Winter

David Lauder, Governor, Anembo

Greta Schigram, Governor, Jerangle

Mary Polk, Governor, Neerabup

Dennis Raines, Governor, Inarcs, for Tamara LaRue, Duchess

[video file]

The woman that appears on the screen is in her early twenties, but her nut-brown hair is streaked with gray already, and her green eyes have the stare of one whom has suffered and seen horrors beyond the imagining of those with more normal lives.

"I have been told by some very wise folks that this is not the time to go independent, that with the Clans bearing down in this area, the last thing one should desire, is to withdraw from a power the size and potency of the Lyran Commonwealth..."  she stands up, and walks around the desk, to sit on it.

"That would be true, if the Lyrans hadn't abandoned us already, perhaps.  It would be true if they had not isolated us, cut off our trade, drafted our men, and fed them into  the fire far away while leaving us to face Clans, Bandits, Pirates, and Plague on our own.  We recieved more help from the single-world nation of NIOPS than the entire Lyran Commonwealth, we recieved more from Clan Wolf in Exile, than we recieved from the Lyrans, more from the attacking Clan Star Adder, than we did from the Lyrans... and the threats we now face, as independent worlds in control of our own destiny, are teh same ones we faced as subjects of the Lyran Commonwealth-but with one key difference."

She clasps her hands before her, "We're facing them without a distant, uncaring ruler to strip away our means of coping to save worlds that refuse to stand on their own because their rulers play golf with the Archon's staff-and believe me, I worked for Peter for several months, this is exactly how decisions WERE made at the highest levels."

"We aren't looking for trouble, fact is, we are open for business, trade, diplomacy, and even alliances-but as equals, not subjects any longer...we'll deal with anyone, and deal honestly-except for the Rim Worlds Republic."

[zoom to just her face.]

"Daphne, You and your friends murdered ten billion people, more than two billion of those here on Arluna with your bio-weapon.  It is my belief that you, and your friends, were the force behind the nuclear fireballs on Tharkad.  Daphne, I hope you die slowly, and painfully, I hope your ovaries rot with gangrene, and that all your dreams are turned to dust and ashes.  Do not come here, do not send an emissary, if you do, I will send him home in pieces."

[zoom out]

"Everyone else is welcome, so long as it's not at the head of an invading army." she says with a bright smile, "I bid you all a wonderful evening."

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 01:34:31 AM by Cannonshop »

Deathrider6

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 01:34:21 AM »
Donegal Broadcasting Corporation- Nightly News Aug 10, 3069

Robert declares for Archon, Calls for elections!

Batch Message* All LyrCom* Text only

People of the Commonwealth a terrible tragedy has been visited upon our nation in this time of great adversity. An unknown party has taken it upon itself to decapitate our goverment. In doing so our Archon and the Estates General were vaporized in a cloud of nuclear fire. The LCAF high command was also elimiated in the same manner. In light of this event I am declaring myself as a cantidate for Archon and have pledged the resources at my disposal to the security of the Lyran Commonwealth as a whole. I call on all Lyrans for thier support during this time of crisis.
Overall Command of the LCAF will fall to the senior officer known to be alive at this time. I call on our neighbors and fellow Star League members to provide humanitarian aid as needed. At this time I also call for all member worlds of the Commonwealth to send new representitives to Donegal to convene an emergency session of the Estates General so that the Commonwealth may go on. I have decided that the interests of the Commonwealth and the welfare of it's people outweigh my own.

In service,

Robert Kelswa-Steiner
Duke of Skye
Duke of Tamar

*Message ends*

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 10:43:06 AM »
***WORD OF BLAKE SERVICE ADVISORY***
19 August 3069

Pursuant of the Word of Blake interdiction against Clan Star Adder, Our Blessed Order will no longer transmit communications to or from Gulf Breeze following that system's decision to endorse Charlamagne Steiner's efforts to seize control of the Lyran government.

Gulf Breeze joins Coventry, Recife, and Qarhata on Word of Blake's communications ban list following those systems' formal declarations of support for the Clan-born Steiner pretender.

In a show of solidarity, ComStar will also refuse to communicate with these star systems.

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 09:12:08 PM »
L.C. braces for civil war as Charlies take Alarion

The Atrean Sun (online edition) - 29 August 3069

The Lyran industrial world of Alarion fell off the HPG grid today following a declaration of support for Charlamagne Steiner by the planetary assembly, joining the growing blot of interdiction spreading across the Commonwealth.

ComStar refused to comment on unconfirmed reports that the Alarion Naval Academy's training brigade - once regarded as fanatically loyal to Archon Peter Steiner-Davion - turned on the local militia when they attempted to arrest the pro-Clan legislators.

Parliamentary sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, opined that the rise of the pro-Charlamagne movement was just desserts for the Lyrans, "I can think of no better solution to the Lyran problem than a few hundred years of slavery courtesy of the furries."

LittleH13

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 10:05:39 PM »
                                  Khan Marco Hall to be Elected Commander of SLDF

Duke Leto Ballantine stood up and cleared his throat. "Khan Hall, you have been a questionable ally to this Council, but an ally nonetheless. Now I hear of your actions on Tamar." He paused for a moment and then continued pointing at the image of Marco Hall "This brave leader risked his whole Clan to help ensure the safety of Innersphere. YOU ARE a TRUE ally to this council and all of its members" his voice rose as he spoke those words. "The Hegemony votes YES and will gladly listen to the tactical advice an prowess that you WILL bring as the new Commander of the Star League Defense Force."

silentwarrior

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 11:04:42 AM »
MERCNET

Capellan Empire cancels mercenary contracts

Little Richard´s Panzer Brigade and Gregg´s Long Striders available for new contracts

The ICAF divests itself of it´s mercenaries, deeming them no longer cost-effective or necessary to the National Defense Strategy announced a speaker of the Strategios today.
Mercenary industry insiders predict that these units won´t be unemployed for long. It is exspected that they will be hired soon.
Most probable potential employers are the Federated Suns or one of the factions of the Lyran Commonwealth.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:06:45 AM by silentwarrior »

Cannonshop

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 01:49:43 AM »
News from the Edge
dateline, Arluna

Following the announcement by no less than three claimants to the Lyran Commonwealth, the Congress of Electors tonight voted 44 to 12 to recognize all three as Legitimate States, with Legitimate Claims to the mantle of the Lyran Commonwealth. 

By vote of 33 to 20 with 3 abstaining, the Congress further has set forth a finding that such recognition of legitimacy shall be pulled should one claimant recognize the Legitimacy of the Rim Worlds Republic.

By vote of 54 to 2, the Union of Independent Worlds has chosen to remain neutral in the Lyrans' internal dispute, with the stated intention of remaining friendly with all three claimant states until such time as one triumphs over the others-assuming that said triumphant state does not sign treaties nor accept diplomatic delegations from the Rim Worlds.

A motion to request aid from Clan Star Adder in the event of a Lyran invasion was tabled as too speculative, a similar motion in favour of requesting Free Worlds assistance against possible Lyran aggression was also tabled for similar reasons.  Elected Archduchess Debra MacAulliffe noted in her address to Congress, that "Compromising our independence at this point in our nation's existence by rushing into entangling alliances would be foolish, and only result in foreign rule, whether de-facto, or de-jure.  I am not inclined at this time to sign any bill from this body, nor recognize further motions until such time as we have a more established position on what foreign policy beyond neutrality serves the interests of the Union's people.  Likewise, I'm rather certain that while the League would be flattered, I doubt they feel a compelling national interest in taking that sort of risk, particularly after the damage sustained by the Magistracy of Canopus when that state had, as we do, a non-hostile detente with one of the Clans."

Talks with the Free Worlds delegation, and with Clan Star Adder, are said to be progressing well, while the Goliath Scorpions (Second largest neighbour positioned between the Union and the Rim Worlds) have yet to begin.  It is un-known at this time if the Union of Independent Worlds will seek diplomatic recognition from either the Terran based Star League, or the Commonwealth of Periphery States.  Foreign Secretary Gordon has yet to make announcements, but the rumour mill is rife with speculations...

Deathrider6

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 03:11:17 AM »
DBC, COmmonwealth Tonight, Aug 21,3069

“This is Gretchen Sundberg with Tonight in the Commonwealth with Duke Robert Kelswa Steiner of Skye. Robert I’m sure our audience would like to hear what you have to say regarding the current state political state of the Commonwealth. So to begin what is your stance on the UIW?” Robert sips his water.

“Well I view the UIW as misguided. Their reason for pulling out of the Commonwealth is valid, but in essence is a knee jerk reaction to the atrocity committed on Tharkad. While I am against their secession in principle there is no legal recourse save to wait for them to come home so to speak. The articles of acceptance allow for worlds to leave the Commonwealth . While losing the benefits of membership they are technically not in revolt.”

“I see your point Robert. Now what about Bolan? They have declared for another state do you have an opinion regarding them?”

“Indeed I do. Bolan’s Duke Umayr has garnered a lot of popular support in his province his worlds FOLLOWED him when he switched sides so to speak. Misguided? Very much so but he has made his bed and will now sleep in it. I’m sure our Clanner neighbors with their ‘Rawr me smash’ approach will take great pleasure in gutting the re-born Rim Worlds. Better them than me. On a another subject as long as the RWR stays on their side of the fence I will concentrate on liberating Lyran worlds from the evil clans. Should Adam Steiner or his WIFE think of trying to take Commonwealth worlds by force I will be forced to destroy them.”

“So you recognize the Rim Worlds Republic Robert?”

“A good question Gretchen…I do not like the idea of an RWR and Daphne Rowe is not Stefan Amaris if I am correct she is descended of one Hector Rowe who founded the Rim Worlds Republic . Her actions while she was in the Commonwealth do prevent both herself and Adam Steiner from ever returning. Arc-Royal announced a bounty on her head and it is quite substantial.

“Speaking of Arc Royal, Robert… Do you have an opinion of their actions besides the bounty?”

“Arc-Royal’s heart is in the right place but their actions are not rational. The Estates General needs to be reformed and an Archon selected as soon as possible but they made no effort to allow myself or the other nobles to make allowances to get delegates lawfully elected and TO Arc Royal. This speaker character  whatever her name is is trying to order the LCAF to do her bidding? It is my opinion that she is trying to bend the Commonwealth to the will of Arc-Royal and the rest of us be damned.  If she was receptive to allowing delegates from Skye and Donegal time to arrive before proclaiming herself Speaker I would be far more receptive to her desires. To top it off she has no legal authority over the LCAF and by bypassing the legitimate military authorities is setting herself up for failure.”

“So you have declared yourself a candidate for Archon Robert. What are your goals should you ascend to the throne?

“My goals are simple. First is to rid the Commonwealth of the Clan threat. Second is to ensure all treaty obligations are met . In doing so it is my goal to bring the Commonwealth back to a semblance of normalcy preferably without a civil war. I want the Lyran People to be prosperous and not have to live in constant fear of invasion from one foreign power or another. My late cousin Katrina did try her best to accomplish this with her peace accord of 3020 and only the Federated Suns accepted. Unfortunately, my Uncle put his goals over the survival of the nation. Instead of compromising with the Archon and her husband he allowed himself to be manipulated by forces that would see the Commonwealth a mere façade of what it was in 3028.”

“So you believe that Free Skye is wrong in their actions over the last 40 years?”

“In principle no in execution yes… The Commonwealth has since its founding been a coalition of states working together to benefit the whole not a monolithic super-state. Free Skye failed to see this until I took the reins and became the Duke. It will take time but Free Skye is changing.”

“Thank you Robert for allowing us this interview. “ She turns to the camera. “Thank you for watching.”

DXM

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 03:30:24 AM »
Excerpted from The New Frontiersman News Journal
Article: "Republic Seeks International Recognition" (W. Kovaks)
Source: New Apollo

In a sure sign that the paradigm is beginning to shift, the Rim Worlds Republic has decided to go public.  In addition to requesting (and receiving!) ComStar sponsorship of HPGs on our "hidden worlds" here in the Rim, President Pro-Tem (she insists of the term, but seriously -- we'd elect her President-for-life is she'd let us!) Daphne Rowe has also taken a giant step forwards for the Republic by announcing that she is publicly seeking foreign recognition of the legitimacy of the Republic's government.  This is key because if we can get even a single one of the Great Houses to sit up and say "Yes" to it, then that means we're no longer some trumped-up revolution.  We can claim to be a nation.

And apparently, we're one step ahead in that game anyways.  Ms Rowe released a written statement that claimed that an ambassador from the Rim has already been dispatched to Atreus, capital of the Free Worlds League, and that an "aide package" is in the works between us and them.  Now, a lot of our people -- including the folks from Bolan who came late to the party -- don't like the Mariks very much.  Three centuries of open war will do that, I guess, especially when they just tried stabbing us in the back not six months ago.  But frankly, I'm willing to set aside my dislike if it means that Marik troops are helping us kick the Clans off of Ender's Cluster, Apollo, and Somerset.

But now we can throw a wrench in the works: House Steiner has been decapitated and the Lyran Commonwealth is leaderless.  Ok, leaderless is the wrong word; let's just say that all of the Indians want to be Chiefs nowadays.  Skye, Alarion, and Arc-Royal all claim to be the current capitals of the Commonwealth, we've got two claimants to the Archonship, and now a wannabe-Estates General spouting drivel about political solidarity and the CAPITAL-LETTER EVIL OF THE RIM WORLDS REPUBLIC.

Why can’t everyone get past this whole Amaris thing?  The man was an asshole, yeah, but he’s dead and so is his entire family.  Its not like the House Lords are any malfing better!  Jinjiro Kurita ordered the entire population of Kentares IV exterminated, resulting in over 50 million deaths.  House Liao was a police state for centuries; more Capellan citizens have been killed by House Liao than by Davion soldiers.  There’s a new Terran Hegemony; what’s wrong with a new Rim Worlds Republic?

Anyway, back to this whole Lyran Collapsing-wealth -- I mean Commonwealth -- thing.  If the Arc Royal Estates really wanted to prevent this familial spat from degenerating into a civil war, they shouldn’t be trying to push us away.  They should inviting us back in!  The Republic just inherited a fair swath of territory.  If they could get President Rowe and Robert Kelswa to sit down on Arc Royal for a summit, then perhaps we could hash something out.  But nooooo, they want to emulate Little Debbie Mac and her Union of Independent Worlds by turning bigot on us.  Not cool, Debbie.  You’re coming off our Christmas Card lists.

But that’s beside the point.  What I’m saying is that the Republic is entering the limelight.  For good or ill, we’re putting ourselves out there and saying, “Here we are.”  We’ve been living in the shadows for a good long while now, keeping New Apollo and The Dales and all of our other colonies secret.  We’re stepping out into the light, showing the world our true face.  It’s a beautiful one, but that’s all in the eye of the beholder.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 03:41:41 AM by DXM »

Cannonshop

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 04:08:44 AM »
News from the Edge

In a surprise press conference this evening, Archduchess Debra MacAulliffe clarified UIW foreign policies...

"Evenin', it's late but ah thought ah should break this to ya without spendin' tahm on rehearsals, since it's pretty damn important.  By a vote of the majority of the Electoral Congress, it has been decided that if the Clannahs want t'take on th' Terrans, they're welcome t'do so-so long as it's kept outside the bordah of the Union of Independent Worlds.  In Clannah speak, thet means any Clannah wants t' take on th' Terrans, whose forces nearly destroyed the Free Worlds not seven yeahs ago can pass raght on through ou' space, just as long as they ain't intent on stayin, Safcon is granted for offensive operations against the Terran Hegemony, assumin' the Star Adders will let you pass through their paht of the Lyran Commonwealth.  Ou' debt t' the Terrans died with Jaime Wolf, an' if the Clannahs want t' commit suicide-by-terran, ah see no reason to impede theah progress-it's not lahk they was trippin' ovah themselves t' recognize oah independence, oah to offer us he'p in the event of futhah Clan invasions, fact is, they, lahk the Thah-Kad gov'mint, could not care less fo' us, ah see nothin' wrong with returnin' the attention, but Ah see MUCH wrong with dyin' as theah proxies."

she shuffles her notes, "On th' Othah hand, we ARE obligated t' the Free Worlds League, both fo' theah choice to Recognize oah independence, an' theah offah t' provide much-needed aid, somethin' no othah Innah Spheah powah has offah'd.  Should the Free Worlds be attacked in theah homefront, we will considah it a pra-o-ity t' rendah aid, should theah units request it, they may find sanctuarah in oah sphere of influence, so long as they do not initiate hostilities with anyone else inside oah bordahs, we ah lahkwahse indebted t' the NIOPS association, an' will come should they call with whatevah fo'ces we can muster.  As fo' the rest...well, it's a mattah of cases, but in gen'ral, with those exceptions, we are Neutral."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:22:28 AM by Cannonshop »

august

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 11:36:33 PM »
Mass Arrests on Arc-Royal?
Source: Newswire Kaumberg

Potentially disturbing footage has reached the office of Newswire Kaumberg, apparently showing the mass arrest of protestors on Arc Royal. While the total video runs in less than two minutes and lacks sound, it appears to display local police as well as a number of men wearing the patch of the Association of the Tharkad Martyrs violently confronting Lyran citizens and herding them into police vans. Signs carried indicate that the unhappiness with the "Emergency Acts" that the Arc Royal Estates General has declared was the cause of the protest. The video displays some fifteen to twenty arrested, but the footage implies that the protest may have been much larger and the numbers of those arrested greater.

When contacted by our bureau, Tainya Algeburg, Delegate Khartoum and Director of Communications for the Estates General issued the following statement. "I can confirm that there have been isolated incidents of unlawful gathering used as a front for dissident activity. Numerous arrests have been made, but none of the encounters have turned violent. The police and their auxiliaries are using utmost caution in identifying subversives who threaten the state. There were no 'mass arrests,' and no cases in which those taken into custody were harmed. It appears that Newswire Kaumberg has been taken in by a video clip known to us, one that was intentionally mauled to cover the shoddy editing of footage. This video is a product undertaken by dissidents who would undermine the legitimate government of the Commonwealth in order to prop up greedy village strongmen."

One local video expert, who requested anonymity for reasons of safety, disagreed with the Delegate's statement, claiming that there is no evidence of editing or that the damage might be intentional. Newswire Kaumberg will inform the citizens of any further developments.

NVA

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 02:27:58 PM »
Clan Wolf Reuinted.  Declares Support for Commanding General Marco Hall.

Marco Hall's election as Commanding General of the Star League Defense Force left many questions.  He answered one in a brief press release.

Many have feared the clans.  In general, this should not be necessary.  A clan warrior's purpose is to defend those who cannot defend themselves from the predation of war, not to visit it upon them.  As Commanding General, I will stand with those who have this goal to defend all.  As is tradition among the clans when one is elected ilKhan or among the original Star League, I hereby lay down my claim to the position of Khan of Clan Wolf.  However, one of my last actions was to send forces to Tamar to reunite the Wolf Clan under one banner.  A trial was fought to determine whose path was correct since the Refusal War.  saKhan Craig Fetladral has reported success.  There will clearly be a transition, but once more the whole Wolf Clan will protect the Star League from the threats that exist.  To deal with the threats throughout the inner sphere, I hereby call on any and all volunteers to join the SLDF.  If you seek to protect the people of the inner sphere, regardless of which state they may be a part of, then come and join us on this honorable path..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:55:28 AM by NVA »

Cannonshop

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 04:56:19 AM »
News From the Edge...

Jordan Cramer,  News from The Edge Magazine, 26 August, 3069

an interview with Archduchess MacAulliffe

The drive up to the MacAulliffe farm from Grantsberg is a long one-nearly five hours passing through fields, stands of woodland, and up a narrow gravel driveway nearly two kilometers long.  As we passed the gate into the main yard, Our driver could see the famous "Stay Away" sign-the remains of the raiders have, of course, mostly decayed away, but the bones are still dressed in rags with a hand-lettered sign that says simply "Mind your Business".

What we didn't see, perhaps on purpose, were the body-guard detail that had our reporter's car in their sights from Kelway Crossing right into the dooryard of Arluna's most famous (Or notorious) resident.

The MacAulliffe Farm, of course, is now registered as a historic place-it was here that the first provisional government after the Plague was formed in a meeting that lasted nineteen days, it was here that the Star Adders agreed to leave Arluna in the hands of its people, and it was here that Debbie Mac shook the Inner Sphere by meeting with three foreign governments and dealing with them as an equal.  One might be tempted to see that winter of 3068 as the true birth of the Union.

She met us at the door, and poured Jaslisle tea, brewed with sunlight in a thick, glass jar on the porch.

The house, of course, is still the rammed-earth and clapboard two-story that has stood here practically since the first colonists came to Arluna from Donegal, Skye, and Korea.

"Have a seat." she offered me one of the folding deck-chairs, then sat down herself in the porch-swing,  "Any trouble comin' up?" she asked.  Of course, there was none-the route is rather well marked on tourist maps, though the long driveway is usually closed to traffic.

Of course, I indicated I had no trouble at all.  She smiled, and sipped her tea, before prodding me to ask my questions.

What made you decide to take the step to Independence?

Deb: "I didn't.  That decision was made...well, you could say it was made for me-Initially when the Committees asked me, I was against it, but after news of Jessenice, the wildfires on Mahone, and Pol Nguyen's stand on Kwangchowwang, and then the thundering silence from the Commonwealth, I started to change my mind-sure, they had units nearby to all those places-but those units were under orders to remain-in-place, and the High Command was pretty insistent-it was clear to me that the guys at Mount Asgard were dead set on following the McClaren Memorandum, that they would only defend 'hard points'-read, worlds whose Leaders could grease the right palms on Tharkad, and let the rest to rot-but even that didn't do it, I could still appeal to Peter."

Interesting, you use the Late Archon's first name? Were you on a first-name basis?

"Yeah, I was.  Me, Maddie Schrakenberg, Bill Kurst,  Dan Russell, we were his...ya might call it 'troubleshooter team'-find where there's a problem in the system, draft a plan to deal with it, and hand it to the Archon-but then..."

Tharkad.

"Yeah, Tharkad.  Two nukes, no waitin', killed the Estates General an' th' Archon and most of the parasite social generals lurking around Mount Asgard-at least, most of the competent social-generals.  No Peter, no chance of fixing the problem the normal way...and then, well..." she shakes her head, "They lied about it-an' it was an obvious lie."

You mentioned that you knew Daphne Rowe was alive before? and that some members of LIC thought Adam Steiner was, as well?

"Part of my work for Peter again-I came across information indicating she'd been interned at a classified military prison, and that they were still looking for Adam-even had some sighting-reports.  Pete wasn't concerned, he called it 'routine', but he DID ask me to stop looking."

What did you do?

"I was Nineteen and doing something you see in Holovids, of course I clammed up and didn't talk to him about it again...I verified instead, kept it as quiet as I could, I think maybe Bill knew what I was up to, or Maddie...next question please?"

Current Events, then... I understand a number of LCAF units have defected to the Union-care to comment?

"Not at this time-I'd as soon NOT be tellin' Sharon Mulcahy how many troops we've got, if that's alright-I know she's got people will read damn near anything, I'd as soon give her a couple surprises."

So you think the Arc Royal Estates is a threat?

"We left the Commonwealth, we're not playing condom in a war against the Clans with no suppport anymore, I expect she's foaming at the mouth a bit more than Robert Kelswa Steiner is over that, since we're not playing speedbump anymore and they'll have to actually deal with the invaders instead of tossing worlds to them as they run away."

You think that's what Arc Royal intends? They ARE on the front line, after all...

"In a word? Yeah.  I do.  I Know Mulcahy personally, I sat on the Jury in the Morgan Kell Trial, I've bumped heads with that jumped-up tax collector  a time or two...besides, who do you think those Estates General Reps are?? They're the ones that were sodding-off from work, playing grab-ass with Lobbyists and Special Interest groups, or who couldn't be bothered to show up to the Session because it interferes with their leisure time.  Mulcahy's a pretty competent accountant, a vicious prosecutor, and an indifferent leader who relies on threats, bullying, and her office or position to motivate her subordinates-in short, she's a bully, that's her character.  It's a fine one for a tax-collector or a bureaucrat, but...honestly, she's about as fit to govern as a Reaver with a sore a- I mean, toothache...yeah...one that itches...in the bum..."  she sips her tea for a moment, "The woman has no concept of priorities-nor does she have the ability to compromise or form coalitions-that's bad news for the folks out Arc-Royal way, an' it's bad news for us, too-she's going to be looking to start a war to take their minds off the one they're losing, and we're closest, we look easy, that makes her government the second largest threat we face."

What's the largest threat?

"Self Destruction.  Our greatest danger, is that we really can't afford to take missteps dealing with the Clans, or the Inner Sphere.  Our independence draws from our Neutrality-the second we chose a side, all the other sides are going to come pouring down on us like an Avalanche, and that will be the end of our nation, as well as the end of millions, or even billions, of lives.  Entangling foreign alliances are likely to be our doom-especially as a young nation in a perilous position with only a small industrial base to draw on."

What about the Rim Worlds?

"Daphne Rowe's people loosed the Arluna Flu on us, Adam Steiner drew thousands of young men and women to follow him-only instead of following him to glory, he led them to their deaths-Deliberately.  The Rim Worlds Republic has been preying on border-systems for the last two years, and I suspect they're behind the "Reaver'' Pirates that hit Jessenice-either directly behind 'em as sponsors, or indirectly behind 'em with what the covert-ops people call a 'cutout'.  Hell, Daphne's 'restitution act' was financed with selling bad parts to jumpship crews, embezzlement, bribery of Court Justices, intimidation and blackmail of officials, and financial corruption of military personnel-and they had the LIC penetrated at multiple levels to boot.  For all of that, well...I like the term Congressman Judd from Winter used-'Rim Worlds Delenda Est'- it's latin, it means 'The Rim Worlds Must Be Destroyed.'  Sooner or later, the man's going to come around for 'em, and they'll reap what they have sown."

Cannonshop

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 10:30:07 PM »
*Advertisement*

[image: Dropships separating from a jumpship, there is a flash and the jumpship and dropships are tumbling out of control]

[Voiceover]Search and Rescue.

[Image changes to a busy med-bay, with a relieved looking spaceship crewman accepting a cup of something from a woman in a light blue and khaki overgarment.]

Three Centuries of experience.

[image change: dusty camp full of refugees-this is newscut footage from the Flu outbreak on Anembo]

[voiceover] Emergency Relief, and Medical support.

[image change, and a convoy of ships is forming at some jump-point.  haze-gray escort vessels and fighters patrol among the larger vessels]

[voice-over]Logistical Support, Convoy Security, and Anti-Piracy...

[image: two important-looking people signing a document and shaking hands, a third person in a khaki and blue uniform sits between them. Everyone looks happy.]

[voice-over] Arbitration of Disputes, Diplomatic assistance.

What can the Coast Guard do for you?

Sponsored by the Union of Independent Worlds and the UIW Coast Guard.

Cannonshop

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 11:38:05 PM »
*Advertisement*

Neutral Flagged, reliable, safe, professional Convoy and Transportation services scaled to move what you need moved, where you need it, for less than you might expect.

From Colony Support and Infrastructure management, to Security operations, our spacer-born Crews can handle the long trips and treat your goods with the respect-and security, they deserve.

Contact your local UIW annex, and see what the Coast Guard can do for you.

silentwarrior

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 03:12:43 AM »
ISAP News Ticker

Capellan Empire recognizes the Union of Independent Worlds - Ambassador sent

august

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 03:17:06 PM »
Violent Uprising on Alma Alta!
Source: Newswire Kaumberg

Local sources report that on 29 August 3069, an angry mob descended on the estate of Count Reginald Punoru, sacking the Count's home and costing the lives of the Count, several estate guards and an undetermined number of attacks. According to a source who was close to the Count but who wishes to remain anonymous for reasons of safety, the attack was politically motivated; Punoru had originally declared for the Arc-Royal Estates General, but had become wary of their use of Emergency Laws and had intended to switch his allegiance to the Donegal/Skye region. Local reports indicate that a number of the attackers were wearing the red jackets of the Association of the Tharkad Martyrs, the “Lyran patriotic organization” founded by Arc-Royal. While the Association's leadership could not be reached for comment, it may be that the organization's vehement pro-Arc Royal and anti-noble stances motivated the attack.

Local police did not appear on the scene until almost an hour after the attack began. While some fifty-eight were taken into custody, charges have been pressed only against two of the attackers, who stand accused of looting. Local police officials released the following statement, “While we do not condone vigilante action in any capacity, our investigation of the estate has convinced us that the Count was indeed plotting treason. The mob that converged on the Estate, comprised almost entirely of dissident estate guards, placed their loyalty to the state before that owed the count. Time was of the essence in order that the Count might not place Alma Alta's security in peril by indicating local military deployments to the pretenders on Donegal. We mourn all the lives lost, including that of our beloved though misguided Count and condemn the attackers for taking matters into their own hands, however noble their aims may have been.”

Count Punoru's sole living son, Reginald, has indicated to Newswire Kaumberg that he will continue his military service on Gacrux and will not return home to claim his father's title at this time. It remains to be seen who will take the reigns of power on Alma Alta.

august

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 03:31:09 PM »
Editorial: Observations on our Recently Departed Neighbors
Source: Newswire Pandora

I could write a treatise on the heap of incoherence that is the latter-day "Rim Worlds Republic," but given that I'm only paid to write newspaper columns, I'll endeavor to hit just one of the high notes. The Rim Worlds Republic seems to be run by people who are motivated by the ardent belief that words don't matter. It's apparent in their name, and the lame notes of persecution that they've been crowing on account. The old periphery state had a long history, to be sure, and was a lot of things, but it's outright disingenuous to deny that what everyone remembers it for was the Usurper's genocidal war that ended the Star League and plunged us into the hell of the succession wars. Everyone knows this, remembers this and you'd have to find a professional periphery historian to tell you much more. It really does say something that even the most virulent anti-clanner and your friendly neighborhood Star Colonel can come together unequivocally and agree that the Rim Worlds Republic is a name that deserves to be cursed.

Those short-sighted cretins stitching Shark Banners today seem to forget all of this. They claim that the name is part of the heritage of their worlds, but so are the crimes of Aramis. They seem to forget that soldiers under that flag murdered a countless number of their own people on Apollo and the surrounding systems. They forget the horrors that that flag brought to the worlds of the Terran Hegemony. Why? Presumably because these are difficult things to own up to; it's safe to say that every modern state has done things that they shouldn't not proud of, but the RWR is by far at the head of the class. The tone-deaf campaign that they're running is just cowardly - they want to claim their history, but they do it only piecemeal. If they had the slightest amount of sense, or cared at all about becoming a respectable state, they'd at least take some measure of responsibility. Honestly, the only reason I can assume for their choosing the name was the discovery of a warehouse of moldy RWR flags from the days of yore. They clearly don't care what that name, what that flag means, what it has stood for and continues to stand for in the minds of everyone of the Inner Sphere and the Clans as well. It's just something convenient to heft in order for Daphne Rowe to build her own castle on the clouds.

Why do I bring this up? Certainly you've heard of the actions of the units formerly known as the 5th and the 8th Lyran Regulars. According to their public pronouncement, they were going to "liberate" the world from Arc-Royal in order to "ensure its defenses against the clans." Not a bad goal, if what they claimed had any relation to reality. Faced with opposition from our SLDF and Terran friends, the would-be RWR liberators chose not only to back down, but to desert the planet. Let's get this straight. They wanted to prevent a civil war by attacking other Lyran troops, inevitably causing collateral damage to the people of Pandora, as well as weakening the overall garrison on our world. Then, when told that if defending against the clans were really their goal, they could remain on and be pardoned, they turned tail and ran.

In short, they stated their goals, and then acted in ways completely opposite. It would be generous to call them hypocrites, really. It is the opinion of this humble writer that their words and actions were simply incoherent. They showed no initiative, no responsibility, no sense of duty to anyone at all. I wish I could say that their actions got them anywhere at all, but how they can go on respecting themselves in the aftermath is a bit of a mystery to me.

What we have in the case of the "revived" is not a state reborn, or a rebellious movement. It is a band of idiots, unfortunately armed, who expect us to believe whatever they say, in spite of their actions contradicting them loudly. It is unfortunate that the 5th and the 8th fell in with this lot - their years of capable service will no doubt quickly be forgotten in light of such tragic folly. Pandora is perhaps materially weaker against the Clans for their departure, but no one should mourn the departure of craven fools such as these.

Tamas Pulovitsky

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 08:12:56 PM »
FWL INVADES LYRAN COMMONWEALTH
(AGAIN)

Voice of Truth - TERRA (9 September 3069)

In a clear rejection of the peace agreement brokered by the Star League, the Free Worlds League launched in an invasion of the Lyran Commonwealth across a broad front this week. Typical to its knife-in-the-back tactics, senior diplomatic sources report that the League had only recently finished a round of harangues on the floor of the Star League Council aimed at rigidly enforcing the FWL-LC demilitarized zone. In retrospect, it is clear that this was a cynical move calculated to strip the Lyran border of defenses and open the way for a fast-moving blitzkrieg campaign.

Reports of civilian deaths already exceeding the six-figure mark could not be confirmed, but in a late-breaking development, Our Blessed Order has confirmed that Free Worlds League forces operating in the Solaris and Hesperus systems are apparently doing so in cooperation with would-be Archon Robert Kelswa-Steiner. A member of the Terran Hegemony Advisory Council from a former Skye world opined:

"I'm shocked and dismayed to discover that Robert would sell out his people so easily in the face of FWL agression. Until today I had thought he was the best candidate to reunite the Lyran state. Now I see that he is nothing but a power-hungry quisling who will do anything in the service of building his petty kingdom."

Voice of Truth has requested SLDF Commanding General Marco Hall's opinion on the situation, but was not able to schedule an interview in time for this broadcast.

We now return you to your regular scheduled programming. Peace of Blake be upon you.

august

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 10:25:49 PM »
Lyran Commonwealth declares War!
Source: Newswire Arc-Royal

With a unanimous vote, the Estates General of the Lyran Commonwealth today declared war on the Free Worlds League, citing House Marik's "violation of treaties, incursions into the territory of the sovereign Lyran State, and invasion of Commonwealth worlds." With early reports indicating that at least eight Commonwealth systems have been under FWLM attack, all citizens are encouraged to resist the traitorous Marik invaders and to take heart, for the might of the LCAF is being deployed against the enemy.

In a related vote, the Estates General unanimously decided to strip Robert Kelswa-Steiner of all of his titles and landholds on account of his "treasonous alliance with the invader." He is to be tried before a high court at first opportunity.

Deathrider6

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 10:42:58 PM »
  DBC and SNN joint exclusive.

What have the Terrans done for the Lyran Commonwealth but force us to shed the blood of our citizens needlessly? It is true that over my objections Katrina Steiner Davion gave up a large chunk of Skye to the Terrans in exchange for mutual defense. Archon Peter in good faith ratified that same treaty on his ascension to the throne. The Terrans sit back and watch as the Commonwealth splits into smaller fragments that are now easier to swallow. At this VERY MOMENT the Free Worlds League is doing what it can to assist in the reunification of the realm. ONLY They have offered any assistance on that front.
  You people dare to assume that I want all the power for myself? Fools. If Nondi Steiner or any other claimant to the Archonship is ratified by a majority I will support them whole heartedly from Skye. In the meantime I wait for news from Tharkad. While Hesperus refuses to see the light and Arcturus is INVADED by the RasDom. I do understand that assistance from the Free Worlds League has its price but to have the Clanners  gone from the Commonwealth. I would pay it.

There are those of you see me as a power hungry megalomaniac who cares only for myself. It is a shame that you believe everything you hear from the media. In the meantime the Commonwealth is shattered and I will take whatever help I can get to put it whole once more even if I have to invite the Free-Worlds to assist. The SLDF is too busy saving Arc-Royal to have prevented the Adders from grabbing Coventry and Alarion and even worse they did nothing to stop Daphne Rowe and her lot from taking Bolan. At least the SLDF has a valid excuse. I asked the FWL for assistance since the Terrans won’t help more than the bare minimum for SLDF support.

It is not the fault of the Clans that the Commonwealth collapsed it is the fault of the Terrans . The Terrans are waiting for the Clans to grind themselves on the remnants of the Commonwealth then maybe they will come out and fight. Unfortunately that plan will fail as all the Terrans are doing is allowing the Clans to sharpen themselves to a level that will only allow the total subjugation of the Inner Sphere.  

It is Ironic that an age old enemy to the Commonwealth sacrifices their sons and daughters to assist the Commonwealth in her time of need and is vilified for it while our ally sits and waits for us to be destroyed. The SLDF fights to prevent the further collapse of the Commonwealth and has even tried to encourage unity among the factions but is vilified as well. I wish to extend my gratitude to the FWL and SLDF for doing what they can to stave off disaster. I also wish to thank the Wolves who are also assisting as well. My question is save for a token force where is the mighty THAF who cause the Clans to tremble in fear?

Cannonshop

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 04:07:13 AM »
Inarcs, Neerabup Congressmen die in formal duel-new Elections to be held on the 4th.

-News from the Edge Magazine

The senior Electors from Neerabup and Inarcs will have to be replaced, as the previous office-holders, whose personal feud got out of hand on the floor of Congress last week, squared off with hatchets on the front lawn of Congress at 10:00 today.  Both died of wounds.  This second test of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution has generated some criticism from humanitarian organizations.

The 14th Amendment permits the Archduchess to demand two parties submit to a choice of mediation, or trial by combat, should their disagreement adversely affect uninvolved neighbours.  The personal animosity of the two Electors to Congress has stalled critical bills in the House for more than a month, impeding, among other things, budget votes and ratification of treaties negotiated by the government-treaties noted on the voting schedule as critical for the financial and political stability of the region.

The incident that provoked the latest outburst-which in turn forced Archduchess MacAulliffe's order to "Mediate, or fight it out", was Elector VanVoor's outspoken demand that visiting Star Adder officials not be permitted to address the full congress, in which he also launched a number of slanders at Elector Gerald LaRue, including accusations of marital infidelity, allegations of Mental incompetence, allegations of personal cowardice, and speculations as to the Inarcs Delegate's position in the afterlife, Duchess LaRue(the elector's mother)'s  prior professional employment, the presence of genetic syphilis, and Elector LaRue's legitimacy of birth.

Elector LaRue's counter to this involved discussion of and speculation on Elector VanVoor's relationships with under-age persons, penchant for personal relations with livestock, suggestion that Elector VanVoor's parents were close relatives, discussion as to the man's inability to satisfy his wife, questioning of VanVoor's children's parentage, sexual orientation, and liking for the consumption of fecal animal byproduct.

The fist fight that ensued on the floor provoked the Archduchess to demand "Mediate or Settle it."

The fight took twenty minutes, and according to the medical examiner, both combatants sustained more than forty deep lacerations-both parties expired of exsanguination before paramedics could determine a victor.

In the case of a "tie", the matter is determined to be settled by the rules established under the 14th Amendment.

A small deathgeld from the Treasury will be paid to the families of the two Congressmen, as permitted under the law.

DXM

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 04:18:07 AM »
Excerpted from The Bolan Journal
Article by James LaPierre

While I'm not the type who puts much stock in the word of folks from Arcturus Province -- or, as I'm so fond of saying, "up north" -- a recent article from a respected publisher on Pandora did raise some interesting points concerning the Rim Worlds Republic.  New Apollo apparently isn't in the mood to respond to foreign drivel, so I've taken it upon myself to provide a counter-point.

The bottom line of Mr. Pulotivsky's article is that the Rim Worlds Republic shouldn't be proud.  They say that the Republic is imposing blindness upon itself for the evils of the Amaris family -- yes, Tamas, that's Amaris not Aramis; he's one of the Three Musketeers -- and the government and soldiery that followed them.  The implication there is that anyone who joins them, ie Bolan, wants to include itself in that bloody history.

It's actually a decent point.  Yes, the Amarises were undoubtedly conniving and, in Stefan's case, grotesquely evil and quite insane.  Soldiers of the Rim Worlds Republic Military did commit heinous acts of violence and genocide against planetary populations.  I’d have to be just as crazy as Stefan to even attempt to defend his actions.  The Rim Worlds Republic of the Amarises was one of the most morally bankrupt governments ever seen in the history of mankind.  No one, not even Daphne Rowe, is disputing that fact.

But Pandora is suffering from its own hypocrisy.  They seem to saying that the Republic and its supporters should ignore all the good -- even the neutral -- of the Rim Worlds and feel like terrible people because of all the evil that the Amarises committed.  Tsk, tsk, Mr. Pulotivsky.

That the Republic is, as Lord Tennyson once said, “an auld and blood-soaked land” is not far from the mark.  Its founder, Hector Rowe, was about as far from a saint as he could be without actually sprouting horns and waving a pitchfork.  But in the case of his children, the antecedents of our President, were quite a bit different.

Hector’s son Maxwell established trade agreements to bind the nascent Republic together.  He invested in infrastructure on neighboring worlds, improving the living on far-flung colonies like Winfield and Golandrinas.  The man was a hero to thousands because he gave them roads, schools, factories, and precious water.  When the Republic bumped into the Tamar Pact, many feared war.  Maxwell Rowe instead gave them peace by signing a non-aggression agreement.

His daughter Arabella continued this trend.  She abolished slavery in the Republic, raising the poor and disenfranchised helots to full citizenship.  She further built up the worlds of the Republic, raising the Rim to the highest standard of living of any major Periphery nation of the day.  She revamped the national education system.  She was determined to defend her people, to protect them from outsiders without appearing to be a threat, so she built a powerful army but left the navy intentionally weak so as to avoid antagonizing her powerful neighbors.

These are the acts of the Rowe family.  Aside from Hector, they were a cautious and benevolent bunch who sought to improve the lot of those whom they ruled over.  They sought protection, wealth, and recognition of their own independence. . . Just like their latter-day scion, Daphne.

And while the name of the Republic remains the same as the government that Amaris inherited, many of its institutions do not.  As Mr. Pulotivsky pointed out, names have power -- and President Rowe has picked names that buttress the good and avoid the bad.  Our defense force is not the Rim Worlds Republic Military that followed Stefan Amaris; it is the Rim Republican Army, whose last act was to revolt against the Amarises.  Their revolution was so successful that it took the SLDF and the Reunification War to put it down -- yes, that’s right.  The SLDF kept the Amaris family in power.  Irony is so appalling at times.

During Kerensky’s conquest of the Republic following the Amaris Coup, many of the Usurper’s supposedly ultra-loyal, secret divisions refused to fight.  They considered him and his actions too repulsive.  Most the RWRM forces still in the Republic laid down the arms or defected at the sign of SLDF DropShips.  These are actions of men and women disgusted with their own leadership.  Patriots like Devon LeFebre, Phillip Drummond, and the Polczyk brothers -- who were all so dedicated to Aleksandr Kerensky and his utopian ideals that they would one day follow him, and his son Nicholas, into Exodus and become Khans of the Clans -- all found their origins in the Rim Worlds Republic and all were living, breathing testaments that no matter the evil in men’s souls, the righteous will always find a way to fight back.

Other names and their power abound in our new and improved Republic.  The title of First Consul has been thrown out, and true democracy has taken hold; New Apollo promised presidential elections in 3069.  ASROC, the secret hand of Amaris, is no more, replaced by the Office of Special Intelligence -- an outgrowth of our moribund Lyran parentage, the LIC.  The names of our military units reflect nationalist feelings; gone are the Amaris Dragoons and Amaris Guards and Amaris Fusiliers.  We now stand protected the Rim Fusiliers, the Republican Guards, and the Revolutionary Guards.

This is not the Rim Worlds Republic of old.  We are not denying the bloody history of this nation; all of us in the Inner Sphere, the whole of humanity, have dark periods in our past.  They are as unavoidable as they are immutable.  But we refuse to be shackled by them, as my colleague from Pandora wishes.  We refuse to not stand up for ourselves, to want freedom from an autocratic regime that has shown that it is powerless and broken and unable to sustain itself any longer.  Even now, the pieces of the Lyran government are being forced to reinvent themselves, to seek unity in any way that can -- be it violence or diplomacy.  Will we rejoin them?

If they can unite, maybe.

If they give us our freedoms, perhaps.

If they’re willing to accept democracy and republicanism, we’ll think about it.

Until those three conditions are met, we -- the people of a free and independent Rim Worlds Republic -- stand tall beneath the ancient banner of the Apollonian Shark.

With pride.

JediBear

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 09:36:40 AM »
Rasalhague Dominion declares War on Terra!

Associated Free Press
Last month, the Terran advisory council added the Rasalhague Dominion to its list of "hostile Clan states" -- essentially authorizing unlimited military action by the THAF against the Rasalhague Dominion and placing all of its citizens and assets in jeopardy. At the same time, Comstar ceased honoring its pairing agreement with Dominion Hyperpulse, the company that manages the Dominion's hyperpulse network. Because of this it has been difficult to get news out of the Dominion, but sources confirmed today through our offices on Port Arthur that the Rasalhague Dominion has answered this act of naked hostility with a declaration of war.

"We are forced to grudgingly acknowledge that a state of War exists between the Terran Hegemony and the Rasalhague Dominion," the document reads in part, while also citing numerous grievances of the Dominion against Terra including a failure to respect the Dominion's borders, as well as numerous acts of theft, piracy, and terrorism, including the destruction of Hyperpulse Generators and the murder of several key government officials. The document also mentions an obligation by the influential Ghost Bear Warrior Caste to aid the Clan Grand Council in its war against Terra.

"We are not talking about genocide here," stated a source close to the Khan "We fully intend to abide by the terms of the Trondheim Declaration, but we have a right to exist and to live in the way we choose. Terra has shown that it can not see beyond its insatiable greed and its unreasonable desire for vengeance. So be it. They may occupy the cradle of humanity, but we owe nothing to them."

The Riksdag also published a separate document, characterizing Terran communication companies Comstar and The Word of Blake as "terrorist organizations" and "agents of the Terran throne." The document directs Dominion military personnel to arrest Comstar and Word of Blake personnel where they can be found.

Cannonshop

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2010, 02:31:12 AM »
Open Call to Investors!

Find out what's out there, find out where those Pirates are hiding, find out when unwanted 'guests' hiding in the deep periphery are coming to call, and find out where there are new opportunities for Trade.

The UIW Coast Guard is offering exploration and colonial security services at competitive rates throughout the anti-spinward sector. A UIW contract can provide physical security for your own exploration and deep-periphery trading missions, early warning services, search-and-rescue, and, of course, rapid transit services can be arranged.

Secure your rear area, before the next invasion takes you by surprise!

(Offer available to trading partners and states that recognize the UIW only, exploration is a speculative venture and investors may lose some, most, or all of their investment, Security services offered at a flat rate based on extent of services requested, colonial security rates based on current MRBC pricing. Check with your local authorities before contacting UIW Coast Guard representatives. This message sponsored by the Union of Independent Worlds Navy Department and the Department of War.)

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2010, 09:59:22 PM »
HESPERUS II: LATEST FWL ATROCITIES
ARES CONVENTION IN TATTERS

Voice of Truth (TERRA) - 20 September 3069

"In a shocking turn of developments, Free Worlds League and Free Skye WarShips - already in violation of the Ares convention by orbiting within the 100,000 kilometer strategic limit - unleashed withering space-to-surface fire on Hesperus II. We now go live to our correspondent on the scene."

"Can you hear me, Tom?"

"I can, Michael, thanks be to Blake the League WarShips did not damage Our Blessed Order's compound during their attack."

"Can you describe what happened?"

"At approximately nine o'clock local time, we were preparing for a news conference from Duke Brewer on the escalating situation when air raid sirens were triggered. Even inside the press center's hardened bomb shelter, it felt like we were in the epicenter of an earthquake."

As the interview continues, grainy footage of laser strikes and enormous surface explosions play in the background. A small subtitle reads: File Footage.

"What is the current situation? Has the FWL ceased its attack?"

"Things are looking grim for Hesperus II, Michael. The FWL has stopped its bombardment for the moment, but we believe that this indicates ground forces are making landings. Wait... I've just been handed a report, apparently we have been ordered to evacuate the press center. There are out of control forest fires that were sparked by the bombardment getting dangerously close to Maria's Elegy. I'm sorry Michael but I'll have to cut this short in order to return to the Word of Blake compound."

"We understand. Be safe and Go With Blake."

Cannonshop

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 12:23:41 AM »
News From the Edge Magazine...Business section

"We're here today with Kelli Fitz, owner of Ioto Interstellar and acting CEO of Ngo Industries...Kelli, with the action on Coventry and Hesperus II, what's the word from the firm that some say is the biggest single creditor of both Defiance Hesperus, and Coventry Metal Works?"

Kelli Fitz is a tall woman, her hair is kept in a short, yet feminine style that accents her long neck and pixie-ish features.

"Well, Brian, it's not exactly good news, Dan Brewer owed Ngo Industries a considerable sum of money, and Tom Bradford's claiming that the political chaos exempts Coventry from paying their bills-and we're talking seven-figure numbers here just on the interest payments."  she sighs, "Naturally, we're pursuing legal means of recourse in both cases, but it's unlikely, given Brewer's apparent rebellion and then subsequent failure, that the debts in question won't be repudiated in the same manner that the Alarion, Pandora, and Tharkad yards owned by Ioto have been nationalized and seized by their respective successor governments."

"and that means?"

She looks straight into the camera, "It means that the bills won't be paid, Brian.  Effectively, barring intervention by some divine force-or intervention by an aggressive collection agent, those bills will not be paid out.  For Ioto, it means starting over again, for Ngo Industries, well...it means that unless and until those unpaid revenues are paid up, the Firm has effectively had to cut losses inside the states of the Lyran Commonwealth."

"Thank you...how much money is Defiance into Ngo Industries for??"

"Sixty four billion, two hundered and eighty seven Million, five hundered sixty two thousand, one hundered and ninety point-forty-four C-Bills on the open exchange-that's the value of the Tooling refits DefHes recieved in 3055 minus previous payments." Kelli said, "Coventry owes One hundered ninety seven Billion, Sixty two Million, three hundered fifty thousand point two-five Billion C-bills...not including this fiscal year's interest."

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:29:32 AM by Cannonshop »

Cannonshop

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 11:18:44 AM »
Public Notice

Pursuant to LC code 19 of the Incorporation Statute of 2552, amended on 8 July 2971, Ngo Industries Releases all interests in Ngo Enterprises Skye, Ioto Alarion, and all Real Properties in the Skye, Alarion and Donegal regions to the local corporate administrations, to include Distribution and Service centres, O'Brien Tooling of Skye, and sundry material resources of non-portable nature in that area.

Shares will be reallocated by region, contact Lyran SEC for details.

Marjorie Moriarty
General Counsel, Ngo Industries.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:20:53 AM by Cannonshop »

Deathrider6

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 11:22:23 AM »
DBC, Donegal.

In news today the Lyran Securites and Exchange Commission announced that Defiance Indutries stock trading has been suspended pending the disposition of a Civil suit. The suit filed in the Donegal Supreme Court yesterday contends that Duke Daniel Brewer and a coterie of the Board of Directors acted to defraud investors and the LCAF. In light of Brewer's recent actions and his arrest this suit has a good possibily of progressing In a statement released this morning Baron von Kwangjong-ni (in exile) Kenneth C Russell said that he is unsure how the suit will affect production and stock prices once trade resumes.

DXM

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »
RIM WORLDS AT WAR!

Rim Republic officials issued a press release early this morning that detailed several raging battles on Republic planets against Clan invaders.  While force levels and other classified details were not discussed, the press release did state that one of the targeted worlds was the capital of New Apollo, and that the planet's defenders had repulsed front-line Star Adder troops, inflicting heavy losses.  It is claimed that military chief Adam Steiner has already begun planning a counter-move to shore the defenses of other threatened worlds, and Republican claims that Marik peacekeeping troops are also en route have been verified by many government agencies.

Deathrider6

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 02:59:24 PM »
SBC,Solaris VII.

Solaris Declares for the Free Worlds League!

In a suprisingly peaceful but unexpected referendum the Solaris Governemnt today repealed the Articles of Acceptance. The Ruling Duke headed off to Skye with out incident. Skye Officials refused comment.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 03:01:32 PM by Deathrider6 »

chaosxtreme

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 03:59:02 PM »
Outrage on Atreus

The CEO of Imperator Weapons on Atreus is fighting mad at the Government of Skye, Imperator Weapons a long time supplier of the Imperator Ultra-Auto Cannon 10 which had worked so closely with Hesperus II on its own larger bore autocannon ventures is demanding that Parliament take economic action against the Skye Region.

The reason?

Imperator weapons was taking advantage of the invasion to leverage entry into the direct Manufacture of Battlemech's and Combat Vehicles in concert with their line of fine Weapons. But the Skye shutdown of the Lyran Securites and Exchange Commission prevented them from gaining a full majority share, stopping their take over at a mere 50% of the Vaunted Defiance Industries total out standing stock.

CEO Wahlberg had this to share. "The Elsies can't and have never played fair! I was just one share, ONE share away from doing what not even the Captain-General has been able to do! Bring Defiance Industries into the Free Worlds League as a subsidiary of Free Worlds Imperator Weapons!"

This latest rowe has many in the Loyal Opposition calling for a hard line against Skye but the Loyalist faction and Speaker MacLir have stated they prefer a negotiated settlement to the economic matter. citing "Free Trade with Skye is worth more then Defiance Industries. The horrible handling of Defiance Industries in the last few quarters has allowed it to slip its place from #1 producer of BattleMech's in the Inner Sphere but industry watchers believe that the company still has tremendous potential for new growth given its wealth of mothballed Star League Era Factories allowing for quick startup.

Iron Mongoose

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 05:21:05 PM »
Abejorral Weekly

Re-printed from The Times of Alarion, receved by jumpship courier:

Free Worlds League Proceding with Bid for Commonwealth Take-over!

Over the past weeks, the Free Worlds League has launched several attacks on bouder worlds of the Commonwealth, in a vertual replay of their abortive invasion of the past year.  Concurantly, the FWL has made moves in support of several of the breakaway fragments of the Lyran nation, most notably the revived Rim Worlds Republic, in support of their assualts on some of the most important Lyran worlds not yet under the controll of FWL puppet states.  Coventry was claimed from its Lyran defenders and Hesperus II, who's defenders were distroyed by orbital fire from the aptly named Thera class Corrine Marik has also now fallen into the clutches of the League's lackies.  Of the capitol worlds of the Commonwealth, only Alarion, excluding Wolf held Tamar despite the ties between the Wolves and the League, remains out of the FWL's clutches.

Watching this, it becomes clear that the goal of the Free Worlds League is nothing less than the resumption of their age old campaign to absorb our nation.  But, where as the Captian Generals of centuries past used their own armies for this quest, Thomas Marik is employing proxies who have taken on the guise of other nations, but are in fact little more than League patsies. 

The League has brokered a peace between the Rim and Skye, which is suitably unnatural that it is sure that both are fermly under the Atrean thumb.  Dealing with any of these governments should be done only with great caution.

As it stands, only Arc Royal's faltering government and rickity state, the tiny UIW, and the Adder backed worlds that have followed Cherligmain Steiner have remained aloof from FWL controll, though many have opined that selling out to the Clans or Terrans is hardly better.  As it stand, it seems that all the world of the Lyran nation will have to find backers of their own, or else be gobbled up by the FWL machine.

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 06:54:45 PM »
Solaris Home Defense League Rides Again?
Pirate Broadcasts Heard Across System

INN (TERRA) - 4 October 3069

"This is Duncan Fisher broadcasting from a secure location in Xolara, with a message for those purple motherf- ahem, that is for the ladies and gentlemen of the Free Worlds League Military. Lets get reeeeeeeeeeeeady to rumble!"

Those words flooded in over all channels in the wee hours of October 2nd, prompting widespread speculation that Solaris VII is set to see a repeat of the brutal fighting that greeted the last Free Worlds League incursion almost exactly one year ago. So far, the streets of Solaris City have been quiet, but unconfirmed reports have reached INN that hundreds of cutting edge BattleMechs belonging to historically pro-Steiner stables have gone missing from their berths.

For now, the people of Solaris can only tense with anticipation of the coming storm, and wait for the next broadcast from Fisher's pirate radio station.

Deathrider6

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 11:05:12 PM »
DBC,TBC,SNN Exclusive, Donegal.

In an impromtu press confrence Haupmann General Almida Zec, LCAF Mercenrary Relations released the suit filed in Donegal's High Court today.

To: Mercenary review and Bonding  Commission.
From: Hauptmann-General Alamida Zec, Mercenary Liason, LCAF.
BCC: General of the Armies Nondi-Steiner, Kommandant-General Daniel Russell, Duke Robert Kelswa Steiner.

RE:Writ of Grievance: Lyran Commonwealth vs. Blackstone Highlanders, Brion’s Legion, Snord’s Irregulars, Gray Death Legion, Kristen’s Krusher’s, Iron Fist Irregulars, Breskin’s Pegasii (Breach of Contract).

The Units listed in this document are accused of the following offences: Breach of Contract. Additional offences will be listed by unit.

Black Stone Highlanders (All Elements):Failure to suppress a  rebellion.
 Brion’s Legion( All Elements): Terrorism, Failure to adhere to chain of command (unauthorized movement).
Snord’s Irregulars (also known as Clan Snord): Failure to follow chain of Command.
Gray Death Legion: Failure to follow Chain of Command.
Kristen’s Krushers: Failure to follow Chain of Command.
Iron Fist Irregulars: Failure to Follow the Chain of Command.

Due to the situation it is unlikely any sanction more severe than a possible loss in rating will occur. The plaintiff requests forfeiture of bond for all units and in the case of Brion’s Legion forfeiture of all monies due to the severity of the offences. Possible further sanctions may be levied by the MRBC obviously but the circumstance may preclude any sanctions levied. The Lyran Commonwealth does seek redress in the most expedient manner possible.

DXM

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2010, 03:41:09 AM »
Blackstone BattleMech, Inc CEO Andrew Blackstone, brother of famed mercenary command Scott Blackstone, fired back at Skye-Donegal allegations to the Mercenary Review and Bonding Commission concerning the status of the Highlanders.

"The Highlanders were under contract with the Lyran Government, that is true.  But right now, there is no Lyran Government!  The Commonwealth has dissolved for all intents and purposes, and therefore it was the decision of the Blackstone Board of Directors to likewise consider the Highlanders' contract with said Government to also be dissolved, freeing Colonel Blackstone to seek employment elsewhere."

"So you intend to fight these charges at the MRBC inquiry?"

"Absolutely, yes."

The Blackstone Highlanders are a subsidiary of Blackstone BattleMechs, Incorporated of Inarcs.  The Highlanders' defense contract with Tharkad was all that was keeping the company afloat following the destruction of their Inarcs facility and the devastation caused to that world by the Arluna Flu.

Cannonshop

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2010, 01:15:18 PM »
Are The Blackstone Highlanders About to Get it from the MRBC?

From the Edge Newsmagazine

"Contract violation, desertion, supporting a rebellion while still contracted to the LCAF?  Yeah, folks, it looks to me like Scott Blackstone and his cronies are going to lose money on this deal."  Retired Mercenary Peabody MacShine of Neerabup knows the business,  he served in one army-for-hire after another since the end of the third succession war, only retiring from active Mercenary service a few years ago.

So, you think the MRBC will find in favour of the Commonwealth then?

"They forfieted their Bond, Ian.  Not as bad as some units-I mean, they didn't pull a Fuchida or anything, but pretty bad nonetheless-from a business perspective, they're pretty much going to have to be 'house troops' for Rowe now-I don't think anyone else is going to be willing to hire them after the hearing's done."

Is the business side that important?

"Yes it is, Ian.  I'd say though, on balance, that Scott and his kids aren't in as much trouble as Octavius Brion's in-what the Legion did is about as serious a set of contract breaches as you could name, it's actually a nastier case than Bronson's Horde, and a bigger drop in credibility to boot.  I feel sad for his old man-god rest his soul.  The boy turned out to be unable to uphold a simple garrison assignment.  There's serious money when you've got a multiregiment command, and what they're doing is obviously a major breach-of-contract, could forfeit their bond, put 'em in recievership, even result in criminal charges and disbandment, an' that's not counting the possibility of being declared rogue-that's like having a target painted on your forehead for every hot-shot from one side of the sphere to the other."

So, back to the Blackstones...

"Well...they were contracted about four months ago to sit on this end, I guess, based on scuttlebutt around the retirement home and news items, the idea was to prevent an uprising out here-I doubt seriously that such was actually IN their contract.  They might be able to win the hearing based on how they worded their termination clause when they signed on.  At worst, it's going to hit their rating and make other nations leery of hiring them for paying work.  It's a case a fiar better for 'em than what the Kell Hounds did-the Highlanders didn't steal anything when they left, nor try to."

Do you think they did as they did honourably?

"Mercenaries are a funny lot, Ian.  You have all the typical military virtues, save one-Patriotism is not the motive of a Merc.  The Money's just a means of keeping score-what you're about if you're a good...well, if you're not a sleaze anyway, is that your Contract is your Word, you trade as much on reputation as firepower, and without the Rep, you don't get contracts worth a shit.  Blackstone's people didn't have much reputation to begin with so they're not going to take as big a hit, and it's easier for them to work their rep back.  I'd say Carlisle's people in the Legion, or some of the also-rans that left, they're not going to suffer much if the MRBC rules against them...but...

You keep bringing up Brion's Legion, why?

The old man sighs, and reaches into his pocket, to hand the reporter a scrap of cloth.

"I worked for them once, back in MY twenties.  I was at the (censored) that almost destroyed the unit.  Back then I was a 'younger' man, garrison work is boring, I needed to work NOW, so I left and went and hired on with Lindon for a while, then joined a dragoons farm-team unit, then it was a few other units and some independent work.  Kept it up until my grandson could drive Kendra out there-of course, by then he was piloting a shiny new 'mech with the Commonwealth at Somer-I mean, Addergrad.  what's left of him is buried out back."

Will you be returning to Mercenary work?

[laughs]" Hell NO"[/laughs], "I'm in my seventies now!  The 'mech is for sale, but who wants an old 2H model Shadowhawk in today's world?"
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:39:55 AM by Cannonshop »

Cannonshop

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2010, 01:39:55 AM »
From The Edge Newsmagazine, Politics section...

"Scott Blackstone is still a citizen of Inarcs.  While he and his command have accepted employment at the feet of an enemy state, the Union of Independent Worlds would consider any punishment beyond a mere Fine and reduction in rating to be excessive in this matter- They may have betrayed us, but they are still Family, and ours to deal with in our own time."
-Jessica Blackstone-Willard, Inarcs Representative, Congress of Electors.

"...the case against Brion's Legion hinges on the legitimacy of the Arc Royal government, beginning-middle-stop.  If the Arc Royal government is not legitimate, then they are in breach of contract, if they are, then two-thirds of the territory claiming to be Lyran Commonwealth is governed by an illegal government, including Tharkad.  Given that, the Skye leadership's openly cooperated with the Star League Defense Force in recognition of Treaty, whereas the Arc Royal government has declared war and attempted to expel the SLDF in violation of that same treaty.  Legality most often indicates Legitimacy, and it's interesting that most of Sharon's Estates General were appointed instead of elected-Robert held elections..."
-Caroline Diess, Mayor, Spartanburg, Neerabup, Retired Captain, Brion's Legion

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 04:28:00 AM by Cannonshop »

Cannonshop

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2010, 02:38:36 AM »
From The Edge, Health News...

"...study shows elevated rates of mental illness among survivors of Flu infection, with former infectees showing nearly four times the normal mean population percentage of depression, bipolar disorder, suicidal ideation...experts note that this rate exceeds prior data on traumatic stress disorder among military personnel.  Medical studies are under way to determine if Arluna Flu leaves lasting neurological damage..."

Iron Mongoose

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
INN
Terra

Hegemony Elects New Director General

On Terra, the Terran Advisory Council has finaly elected a leader to replace the late Anton McKenna.  Warner Mendoza-Hasegawa of Sirius, a little known figure before this election, defeated candidates from Terra Ferma and the Terran Millitary.

The new Director General made only a short statment, stressing his determination to defend the Hegemony and its ideals, and answered no qustions before leaving to meet with his advisors.  A further statement is promiced for later in the week, and will be broadcast on INN.

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2010, 10:02:36 PM »
REDSHIRTS MURDER MORGAN KELL
Arc-Royal Stands Alone, Defies SLDF

23 October 3069 (INN - OUTREACH)

In a late-breaking development, INN can now confirm earlier reports that paramilitary group known as the Association of Tharkad Martyrs has executed their high-profile hostage, former Archduke Morgan Kell. Responding to the killing, SLDF sources report that the Defense Forces intends to withdraw all forces from Arc Royal, leaving the breakaway Arc-Royal government to their fate at the hands of the Clans.

Responding to the news, General Maeve Wolf - speaking from an undisclosed location on the Clan front - commented:

"General Wolf had many friends in the Terran Hegemony. Wolfnet is investigating the circumstances of his killing, and I can say with confidence that the cowards who chose to murder an old man to blackmail the SLDF will be brought to justice... or justice will be brought to them."

Former Archduke Kell, once a leading political figure in the Lyran Commonwealth, fell from grace with the Lyran state during the Zhongshang salvage scandal and the subsequent flight of the Kell Hounds from Lyran space. Despite the Kell family's infamy in the Commonwealth, Morgan Kell and his associates have close ties with the Wolf Dragoons of Outreach, where the Hounds' earlier military exploits in the first Clan War are held in high regard.

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2010, 03:05:43 PM »
WOLF: DRAGOONS BACK IN BUSINESS
MRBC to announce new listings in days

30 October 3069 (Voice of Truth) - OUTREACH

In a surprise announcement, General Maeve Wolf has announced her intention to resign from the THAF in order to supervise the formation a new Wolf Dragoons Corps.

"In these dark times," said Wolf, "every loyal citizen of the Terran Hegemony must do their utmost to contribute to the defense of our nation. What Wolf's Dragoons does best is fight as mercenaries - and that is how we will once more bring the war to the Clans."

Acting with unusual swiftness, the Mercenary Review and Bonding Commission has already given final approval for operating licensences for five Wolf Dragoons mercenary commands which are currently assembling on Outreach. Unconfirmed reports indicate that the first of these commands may be ready to accept contracts within days.

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2010, 09:56:43 PM »
ILKHANS ORDER FOR GENOCIDE: REVEALED

31 October 3069 (The Starling Report)

Helloooooooo Rim Worlders, looks like its time to start shopping for that new home on Robinson. Why? Because Diana Pryde doesn't like you. She doesn't like you a lot. Don't believe me? Read the order yourself. Where did I get it you ask? Well, lets just say a lot of Clan butt got kicked on Morges and they left a few things behind they shouldn't have.

SECRET ALPHA GOLD
GENERAL ORDERS FOR ALL COMMANDS ALL CLANS
TO: ALL GALAXY COMMANDERS
SUBJECT: DISPOSITION OF AMARIS BLOODLINE

THE WATCH HAS DETERMINED THAT SOME ELEMENTS OF THE RIM WORLDS REPUBLIC POPULATION MAY BEAR
THE ACCURSED BLOOD OF AMARIS THE USURPER. AS ALL RECORDS OF THE USURPER WERE DESTROYED THERE
IS NO REPEAT NO RELIABLE DNA TEST FOR THE TAINT.

FOLLOWING THE EXAMPLE OF THE GREAT FATHER ALL MEMBERS OF THE AMARIS BLOODLINE SHALL BE PUT TO
DEATH. AUTHORIZED METHODS OF DISPOSITION ARE:

FIRING SQUAD
HANGING
DEATH BY STARVATION IN CONJUNCTION WITH HARD LABOR
LETHAL INJECTION
EJECTION INTO VACUUM

DUE TO THE INABILITY TO FILTER POPULATION FOR AMARIS BLOODLINE ALL RESIDENTS OF RIM WORLDS REPUBLIC
REGARDLESS OF PERPORTED BLOOD HERITAGE ARE TO BE CONSIDERED AMARIS DESCENDANTS. NO EXCEPTIONS
ARE ALLOWED TO THIS ORDER.

THIS ORDER IS NOT TO BE DISSEMINATED TO FREEBORN PERSONNEL.

DIANA

So I don't know about you, but I'm cancelling this year's vacation on New Apollo.

Disclaimer: INN does not fund, produce, or exercise editorial control over the Starling Report. The opinions expressed on this program are not those of INN, Our Blessed Order, or the Terran Hegemony government.

DXM

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2010, 02:00:21 AM »
An Open Letter to the Star League

First Lord Undomniel, Lords of the Star League, and Citizens of the Inner Sphere,

Greetings.  I wish that my words, as they have so often in the past, will request peace amongst us.  That noble purpose must now be set aside, for the evil of the Clan way of life has once more raised its ugly head.

I know that some of you revile me, my nation, and the patriots who have made it possible, but even the most callous and hard-hearted of our opponents in the Inner Sphere know that genocide is wrong.  The whispers of Auschwitz and Landsberg may be lost to many of us, but the screams of Elbar and Kentares still ring in our collective mind, and not one of us should ever seek to see such a horrible event occur ever again.

Yet this is exactly the threat that now hangs, like the Sword of Damocles, above the necks of all the people who have raised the flag of the Republic.  The enemy of us all has ordered the deaths of every man, woman, and child in the Rim Worlds Republic.  And for what?  To eradicate a taint that does not exist!  The Usurper and all his ilk are long dead, even their bones now gone to ashes and dust, yet still the Clans seek to punish the free peoples of the Republic for the terrible actions of one insane man.

We are not the Republic of Amaris.  We are the land of the free, a home to the brave, and we will never bow down to the tyrants from beyond that seek not only our conquest -- but our annihilation!  I am asking now that all of you set aside whatever disdain you may have for the Rim Worlds Republic and hear our plea.  The Clans are not coming for us -- they are already here.  Our military will fight to the death in the defense of our people, but we are outnumbered.  I ask the Star League Council, and the First Lord who watches over us all, to send whatever aide you can. . . and if you do not, you are just as culpable in the mass-murder of my people than those who pulled the trigger.

Daphne Rowe
President pro-tem
Rim Worlds Republic
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:02:06 AM by DXM »

august

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2010, 10:19:22 AM »
More Violence in Arc-Royal Zone
Source: Newswire Tharkad

It's becoming more and more difficult to get reliable news out of the Duchy of Arc-Royal, what with their erstwhile "Estates-General's" draconian media control and the lot of cretins, cronies, and sycophants who grant them muscle. Nonetheless, one couldn't see their much-vaunted "Dissolution Act" going over well, even in their own territories. One may not know exactly what the pseudo-Estates may think it's doing, but it's clear that they were going to set off a powder keg in their own backyard when they issued it. Isolated reports that have emerged, along with a few video feeds, show Arc-Royal loyalists violently in conflict with the house forces of local nobility and their supporters. If the opposition has reached that point, we can only assume that economic disruption accompanies; the nobles aren't letting their assets be nationalized quietly.

Most disturbing, perhaps, is the identity of the attackers in an isolated estate raid on Pandora. Video delivered to Tharkad shows a number of red-jacketed infantry backed up by a collection of tanks. These are presumably units loyal to the "Association of Tharkad Martyrs" rather than to the state itself. How they got their hands on military equipment is an open question that remains disquieting.

august

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2010, 09:29:17 PM »
Who is Jurgen Tanuyama, really?
November 2, 3069 (The Starling Report)

If you're unfortunate enough to be living in the totalitarian nightmare that Arc-Royal has become, you know the name Jurgen Tanuyama. Even if not, you may have seen some of the posters going up across the Commonwealth advertising the patriotic butchers who call themselves the "Ass-ociation of Tharkad Martyrs." You've seen Tanuyama's signature on these things... but then that's all you've seen, right? The Estates General might not make its sessions public, but most of the fraudulent delegates are still known figures, even those that aren't publicity hounds. Not this guy. Not a single public appearance. Delegate Timkovichi indeed - I asked around, and not one native of that backwater can attest having heard of this guy before Mulcahy set up shop on Arc-Royal. Lest you think that this is just another case of a body being called in to replace a corpse on Tharkad, the delegate from Timkovichi, one Angela Pouris, wasn't on Tharkad when the bang went off. Of course, she's not been seen since then.

So who is this guy? The answer isn't all that clear. A reliable source traced the name back to Praditz: that's right, the guy was an FRR native, and fled from the clan threat to the FedCom in 3049. According to official records, he got a job with the Lyran Alliance after Kathy dissolved the FedCom in '57, as "Assistant Agricultural Minister" on Timehri. Not a single document attests his actually doing the job, but he must have been working hard, right?

So I ask you, who is the leader of the Martyrs? Or maybe even more frightening: is the leader of the Tharkad Martyrs? Or did someone just borrow a dead refugee's name? Do they really expect us to believe that this group of "patriots" could be lead by someone who wasn't a born Lyran citizen? If you aren't asking these questions, you need to be. Did whoever is really behind these Martyrs create their namesake? I can't say for sure now, but rest not-too-assuredly that we'll be digging up every forgotten archive to find out.

Disclaimer: INN does not fund, produce, or exercise editorial control over the Starling Report. The opinions expressed on this program are not those of INN, Our Blessed Order, or the Terran Hegemony government.

Deathrider6

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2010, 11:42:51 PM »
SNN 05 NOV 3069

Tragedy on Skye.

Duchess Hermoine Aten was killed two days ago while departing from a Skye sponsored rally in support of the Commonwwealth. Investigators have declined to comment and no organization has taken resposibility for this outrageous act. We will follow this story as it develops. Security has been heightened and travel while still allowed will take slightly longer due to increased customes inspections and security checks.

Cannonshop

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2010, 05:58:13 AM »
News from the Edge, November.

Rumours of increased bandit activity along the periphery border continue to gain steam.  Recently witnessed, the departure of a Kowloonese Coast-Guard task-force comprising several ships, including two carriers and a support element.  Word has it they found something out there, and sources on Kowloon have confirmed the delivery of condolence messages to surviving family members.   News From the Edge has obtained one such letter, and unusually, while it mentions "Death in combat action", the specifics of who the deceased were fighting, as well as where, are omitted.

Embassies from two additional Clans-the Ice Hellions, and the Steel Vipers, have arrived at Arluna. 

Some of our boys may be coming to your neighbourhood-the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Unit of the 2nd Division has shipped to a garrison posting far from their homeworld, accompanied by a small Navy task-group.  The press-release says 'garrison' mission, but when Inarcs' largest and most famous military unit diverts from coming home to go far away, it looks more like they're going out to start a fight.  The interdictions are making rumours fly...

Deathrider6

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2010, 07:22:11 AM »
SLUG: ESTATES GENRAL IN SEESION AND GET'S DOWN TO BUSINESS.

The Estates General conviened on Tharkad two days ago and has gotten down to business with a vengeance. The Assembled Delegates voted and passed nearly half a dozen pieces of legeslation most notabley the reaffimation of the Lyran Commonwealth along with the recognition of two of the Commonwealtrh's neighbors. Recognition of a third was delayed on the floor. The RWR and "Adder Commonwealth" were the two new nations recognized. The UIW was tabled on the floor after heated debate. The three major treaties with the TH,SL, and FWL were re-ratified and the Commonwealth awaits recognition of that fact from the SLHC. The question now is who is going to assume the throne? With the Estates General back in business only time will tell.

Duke Robert Kelswa Steiner appears to be the odds on favorite his position is even more likely since his arrival on Tharkad last week. Speculation is rife regarding the validity of  Charlemange Steiner's Claim especially in light of the news of Adder recognition. Little has been heard from the candiate fraom Arc-Royal but developments there have put the validity of her claim in a cloud of uncertainty.

Regent Nondi Steiner was unavailable for comment.

august

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2010, 08:11:10 PM »
Arc-Royal designates Caledonia "International Zone," Closes other borders
Source: INN

The Lyran world of Caledonia, previously unaligned in the struggles for the Lyran throne, was captured earlier this month by forces loyal to the Estates General on Arc-Royal. While many feared that the province's oppressive grasp would extend to the other side of the Commonwealth, this does not seem to be the case. Lyran forces ended martial law after a scant two days and by order of their government, have designated Caledonia an international world. According to the edict, all states of the Inner Sphere are asked to use Caledonia as the site for diplomatic contact with Arc-Royal; no further foreign presence is to be allowed in the Duchy proper.

A-R has offered substantial holdings to the FWL and to any other state that cares to establish itself on the world (the other Lyran fragments are presumably not invited). Also, the world has been exempted from a number of business taxes with the hopes of inviting investors to the planet and to Arc-Royal as a whole. Only time will tell if anyone is willing to put faith in this fragile and brutal government.

Deathrider6

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2010, 04:02:31 AM »
TBC,SNN,DBC Joint broadcast.

In a stunning turn of events Newly elected Archon Robert Kelswa Steiner sent a firey message to the Clans today.

"You claim to be the inheritors of Kerensky, You claim to be the decendants of the Star League.
   Yet you attack the one nation that supported Aleksandr Kerensky during his fight against the Rim Worlds Republic and the devil Amaris. Yes you have succeeded in shattering the Commonwealth in your crusade to rid the Inner Sphere of the Blood. Yet you let the cancer known as the Rim Worlds return. At our expense. You continue your crusade against the blood over the destruction of a single city in spite of the fact that the Rim Worlds used a bio weapon meant for you against us and killed ten billion people.

Is this the legacy you wish? Do you want the people of the Inner sphere to revile you as they do the butcher Amaris? I pray that this is not the case.  You want to rid us of the Blood yet you fail to see the forest around you. You would rather look at a single tree. I have a suspicion that even your revered founders would be appalled at what you have accomplished in your Grand Crusade.
  I will remind you again of the fact that the Lyran Commonwealth supported Aleksandr Kerensky and the SLDF during the campaign to liberate Terra. It is unfortunate that he did not allow the Archon at the time to finish off the Rim Worlds. Now we are in the unfortunate position of having to wage war against not only the Clans and their short sightedness but the realm that YOUR actions cause to return.
  Will you continue your present course of action or will you destroy the cancer that threatens us all? The choice is yours. I will fight to defend my realm against ALL enemies be they Clan or Rim Worlders.
  I await your response."
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:04:36 AM by Deathrider6 »

JediBear

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2010, 06:22:24 PM »
An unusual direct response from Rasalhague, by Khan Athena Kabrinski of the Ghost Bears.

"Robert Kelswa,

Your House voted to send the Regular Army away, thus giving Amaris the only opening he needed. Your House offered precious little support when the Great Father led the victorious Regular Army back to cleanse the cancer at Terra's heart. Today, your House bars the Regular Army's way when it strives to cleanse a new cancer from the heart of Terra.

We understand that you know little of the ways of honor and that it must seem incomprehensible to you that we would continue a war against those who defiled our honor hundreds of years ago and who continue to threaten our very existence before helping you with your internecine quarrel. We are not unsympathetic to the vast loss of life your people have suffered, but we can do nothing for you:  the simple fact is that until we have put our own house back in order, we can not help correct the failings of yours. As long as you continue to allow Terran fleets unfettered passage through your systems while at the same time barring our movement through the same, we cannot help you.

The House of Steiner is not our house, it is your house, and you should attend to its cleaning."

Deathrider6

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »
1/20/3070

DBC/SNN/TBC- A message to the Lyran People.

My fellow citizens,

The govenment on Tharkad has been re-established and the Estates General is back in session. We are rebuilding. All worlds in the region encompassing Skye and Donegal have been invited to send representatives to join the Estates General. Arc-Royal has refused to do so much less contribute to the reformation of the Commonwealth. Any worlds who have not acknowleged the Tharkad Government are now considered to be in revolt against the Lyran state. No military support or federal aid will be forth coming. Resistance to FWL forces acting in the interests of the Commonwealth will not be tolerated. All lands,titles and commercial property of nobles in revolt are forfiet. Any world's populace that wishes to remain citzens of the Lyran Commonwealth must message Tharkad within seven days of this message. Any military forces present are ordered to invoke martial law until such time as a stable government may resume day to day rule and must message Tharkad of their intent to support the Commonwealth with in seven days or be branded rebels and destroyed.

In a surprise move this message was released to all affiliates.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:09:13 PM by Deathrider6 »

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2010, 09:57:34 PM »
INN OFF AIR FOLLOWING ESPIONAGE PROBE
Enemy agents contacted CEO, senior editors, report claims

Voice of Truth (TERRA), 8 February 3070

Viewers throughout the Sphere were disappointed when last weekend's download of INN news programming was inexplicably delayed. The reason for the unexpected disruption of news service from ComStar's news agency was revealed today in a press conference at TerraSec headquarters. Reading a prepared statement, General Mary Durant announced:

"Following an eight-month investigation by the Terran Hegemony's domestic security agencies, TerraSec conducted a number of arrests at the offices of INN, including the new organization's CEO and several senior editors, whose identities are being witheld at this time. All of the individuals arrested are suspected of espionage activities related to contacts with the so-called Spirit Cats, a terrorist organization formed by renegade Nova Cat personnel."

"Based on the grave nature of the allegations, and the possibility of additional suspects attempting to pass coded information to foreign contacts, INN's broadcasting license has been suspended indefinitely. I regret that at this time, due to the sensitive nature of the ongoing investigation, I cannot answer any questions regarding the specific allegations or charges."

Voice of Truth obtained an exclusive interview with long-time INN anchor Tracy Seibert who opined: "I still can't believe that [redacted] was working for the Clans, especially after everything they did to our people at Sudeten..."

The complete interview will be broadcast following tonight's local news programming.

Parmenion

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2010, 08:16:54 AM »
Onverwacht, Horse Alliance

Feb 3070

"This is Ingrid MacKinnon from BBC Galactic reporting from the periphery world of Onverwacht, located in the renamed Horse Alliance.  The pictures you are now seeing show the large amount of construction work currently underway on this newly rediscovered planet.  Mitchell Avellar was present on the planet and attended the opening of a new hydro-electric plant in the Zeeland Plateau and visited a number of manufacturing and industrial concerns that will be powered by the plant.  Following these tours, he journeyed to the planetary spaceport to watch the arrival of tens of thousands of merchant, technical and labour caste personnel direct from Niles.  Dropship after dropship landed and unloaded enormous numbers of equipment and personnel from a newly arrived convoy.  We were allowed to speak briefly with some of the arriving castemen."

"Hello there." <to a young woman transiting through a receiving point>  "I'm a news reporter from the BBC Galactic.  What is you name and what is your first impressions of your new home?"

<while the woman looks a little overawed about her new surroundings she tries to answer>

"Name is Sonja.  I am technican trained in city communication hub links.  The air here is so sweet.,  One can almost taste it.  And there is no dome.  No mask required for work outside dome.  It must be a beautiful world."

<Cuts back to a picture of the reporter>

'As we have been informed, the planet where Sonja came from, Niles, has a tainted atmosphere, therefore the donning of a mask filtration system is mandatory should one have to work outside.  Hopefully here, she will..."

august

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2010, 07:25:36 PM »
Lyran Address to the Nations

With of the last remnants of the old Lyran Commonwealth on Tharkad defeated, it is my honor to proclaim on behalf of the Lyran people according to their hope and good will, the inception of a new era in our corner of the Inner Sphere. The Lyran peoples, according to their full consent, have elected to form their state anew, to be known as the Commune of Lyran Peoples. Our goal is to maintain the peace, security, and prosperity of all of our citizens. Make no mistake about it; the CLP is not the Commonwealth of old, simply covering itself with a new name. The decadent nobility, who so firmly stated their intentions to crush the lifeblood of the people under the banner of the iron fist, have been scattered and their resources given back to the proud laboring people who have the good fortune to call themselves Lyran. From local Popular Councils, to the Estates General and its Directorate Council, the CLP aims to provide as best it can for the least of its people. The harmonious ideal of the Lyre, so quickly forgotten by the tyrants, has been returned to the fore; if even one string suffers from being out of tune, there shall be no melody. We aim to leave none suffering, none in poverty, and none abused.

Unlike the dead Commonwealth, we have no desire to undertake wars of conquest - we wish peaceful and mutually beneficial relations with all. Absurd territorial claims of the past, that ruined the living for the selective memory of the long dead, are forfeitted. Those worlds that form the CLP do so willingly; we shall turn none aside who wish to join us honestly, but nor shall we force our path on others. We ask only for the recognition of others, with hope of building a better future for all.

With proper respect to all,
Hellen Rengesburg, Delegate Wroclaw

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2010, 05:18:38 PM »
Civil War on Donegal?
News Blackout follows Estates-General Putsch

Voice of Truth (TERRA), 25 February 3070

"Planet Donegal, the seat of Robert Kelswa-Steiner's provisional Estates-General and de facto capital of the Lyran Commonwealth since the fall of Tharkad earlier this month, is under martial law and news blackout, according to the last report received - almost 48 hours ago.

"Unconfirmed reports indicate that a attempted seizure of the government by Skye nationalist groups, including members of the Free Skye terrorist organization, lead to intervention by military units garrisoning the capital city. At this time, property damage and casualties are unkn---"

BREAKING NEWS

"We now take you live to our correspondent on Skye with he latest news on the Donegal crisis."

The camera switches from the anchor's desk to a middle-aged man, who long-time viewers quickly recognize as Duncan Bradstreet, Voice of Truth's senior political reporter in the Lyran Commonwealth.

"Peace of Blake be Upon You, Alberto, I'm reporting live from Skye, which may now in fact be the capital of the late Robert Kelswa-Steiner's Lyran Commonwealth... but for how long is anyone's guess."

"Two hours ago, the A Station at Skye received a broadcast from Donegal, announcing the end of civil unrest in the star system. This exclusive footage brought to you first by Voice of Truth is the uncut announcement:"

The camera shifts again, this time to a Lyran officer wearing a vivid red armband over his normal national sleeve insignia - the same tone used on the jackets of the Association of Tharkad Martyrs. Behind the speaker are the burning remains of a large building - rescue workers can be seen in the background picking through the remains.

"The burning of the Estates-General was intended to be the signal for a bloody uprising and civil war; ;arge-scale pillaging on Donegal and elsewhere was planned, and it has now been determined that throughout the former Lyran Commonwealth acts of terrorism were to begin against prominent individuals, against private property, against the lives and safety of the peaceful population, and general civil war was to be unleashed: all in the name of upholding the corrupt power system of the Lyran nobility against the will of the people. Effective midnight, 23 February 3070, the Donegal star systems and all other systems constituting the remnants of the Lyran Commonwealth are under direct military rule."

The snap-hiss of laser-ionized air can be heard in the distant background, but the speaker continued unperturbed,

"On the basis of Article 48 paragraph 2 of the Constitution of the Protectorate of Donegal, the following is ordered in defense against terrorist state-endangering acts of violence:"

"Articles 114, 115, 117, 118, 123, 124 and 153 of the Constitution of the Protectorate of Donegal are suspended until further notice. To the extent merited by the emergency, local commanders may restrict the rights of habeas corpus, freedom of opinion, including the freedom of the press, the freedom to organize and assemble, the privacy of postal, telephonic, and digital communications. Warrants for House searches, orders for confiscations as well as restrictions on property, are also permissible beyond the legal limits otherwise prescribed."

"In keeping with the purpose and aim of the decree any additional measures neccessary will be directed against the terrorists in the first instance, but then also against those who co-operate with the terrorists and the so-called nobility and who support or encourage their criminal aims. I would point out that any necessary measures against members or establishments of other than reactionist anti-State parties can only be justified by the decree if they serve to help the defense against such terrorist activities in the widest sense."

"Make no mistake, order will be maintained on Donegal and her neighboring star systems at all costs. We have already reached out to our comrades elsewhere in the former Commonwealth and expect a positive response from them in the days ahead."

The camera switches back to Bradstreet, "As you can hear, Alberto, it appears that what started as an attempt by Free Skye to seize power in the remnants of the Commonwealth has lead to a full-scale takeover of Donegal by a military junta that bears a striking resemblance to the same forces that have systematically taken control of the Arc Royal region of the past months. At the moment, there are no signs of unrest here on Skye, but considering the heavy-handed measures the Donegal junta has announced, it can only be a matter of time before resistance to military rule coalesces."

Marlin

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2010, 02:17:12 AM »
29th December 3069

ABNN:

General Redburn dead!
Exclusive revelation:

As the Atocongo Blend News Network has just uncovered, the famous leader of the 1st Royal BattleMech Regiment of the Star League Defense Force was killed in a Raid by Ice Hellion Forces on Atocongo on the 21st September 3069, presumably in preparation of an Invasion.

General Redburn had lead his bodyguard Company on an inspection of his forces, and while on his march over the Great Plains, ran afoul of a Raid Force of unknown size by Clan Ice Hellion, presumably from their Elite Alpha Galaxy. After a pitched Battle, the Company was wiped out, and General Redburn killed due to a cockpit hit, while the Hellion force sustained heavy damage as well, but made it off planet via Pirate Point.

Fortunately, the Invasion of Atocongo did not commence, due to the presence of SLDF Forces on-planet, thus keeping the flow of our Atocongo Blend Coffee to the Inner Sphere mostly uninhibited.

The recent troubles between the various splinters of the Lyran Commonwealth have impeded delivery of several shipments to Tharkad and other planets. This delay we apologize for and expect shipments to go on as usual in a few days.

We hope you continue to enjoy our Brand, and will strive to provide you constant delivery and consistent quality of our Atocongo Blend Coffee.

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2010, 06:34:21 PM »
FWL SLAUGHTERS THOUSANDS
Vicious scorched-earth campaign on Coventry

Orestes Free Press (RASALHAGUE) - 28 February 3070

According to latest reports from the front lines, Star League forces are fighting a desperate scorched-earth defense of the Coventry star system, killing and estimated forty thousand and rending homeless as many as twenty-five million civilians in their efforts to hold back the Grand Council advance.

Facing the imminent loss of his naval forces, Free Worlds League Commodore and naval commander Jackson "The Beast" Price chose to turn his WarShips' guns on the civilian population of Coventry rather than surrender to advancing heavy elements of the Star Adder navy. It is believed at this time that Price died in action, going down with his ship as it succumbed to multiple wings of Clan OmniFighters.

Enraged by the cynical destruction of Coventry's cities, front-line Star Adder ground troops assault dropped onto multiple strategic sites around planet Coventry on or about 17 February. The most up-to-date information received by OFP indicates heavy fighting against multiple Inner Sphere armies. Contrary to initial reports that suggested they had abandoned the Star League forces, latest information also indicates that the Rim Worlds Republic's forces on Coventry have sided with the SLDF and are also opposing Clan landings.

Live from Free Rasalhague, Orestes Free Press will continue to bring you the latest war news, free from Terran censorship and propaganda.

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2010, 06:51:07 PM »
HISTORIC CONCLAVE ON TERRA
ComStar Precentors Recalled to Hilton Head

Voice of Blake (TERRA) - 1 March 3070

In an unprecedented move of reconciliation and brotherhood between the estranged orders of ComStar and the Word of Blake, Primus Sharilar Mori issued a decree today announcing the convening of a sacred conclave at Hilton Head to discuss formally ending the schism within Our Blessed Order.

Invitations have been sent to the Precentors of all ComStar HPG stations throughout the Federated Suns, Draconis Combine, Capellan Empire, and other ComStar clients to return to Terra to take part in this historic summit.

Hopes are high that Primus Mori's brave and wise move will be remembered by history as the first step towards reconiciliation and reunification of Our Blessed Order.

Primus Mori was not available for interview, citing the heavy demands the upcoming conclave placed upon her schedule.

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2010, 08:46:04 PM »
Pirate radio broadcast received on Solaris VII...

"This is Radio Free Xolara, Solaris Fans speaking to Solaris Fans," said the voice of Duncan Fisher, "before we begin, please listen to these personal messages. There is a spill in the 'Mech-it Lube. There is a spill," he annunciated, "in the 'Mech-it Lube. Anton has shaved his beard. Anton has shaved his beard. Now, let's recap this week's matches..."

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2010, 03:00:38 AM »
JADE FALCONS WIPE OUT WOB IN UIW
Terran infestation removed after heavy fighting

Orestes Free Press (RASALHAGUE) - 15 March 3070

Breaking news from the Lyran Front, according to sources in the Jade Falcon high command, Falcon troops have landed in force throughout the Union of Independent Worlds, wiping out the Word of Blake presence almost entirely. According to still unconfirmed reports, only the HPG compound on Arluna is still holding out after having repelled an initial assault by Phi Galaxy's command trinary in an intense battle.

We will continue to bring you the latest news from the front, uncensors and free from Terran propoganda.

august

« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2010, 08:34:44 PM »
CLP Announces Termination of Terran HPG Contract

Newswire Arc-Royal (CLP) - 17 March 3070

Citing the danger to Terran HPG operators made apparent by the recent attacks against facilities in the UIW, the Terran Hegemony has informed the Estates General that as of April 1, 3070, communications service in the CLP will be terminated. Terran nationals will leave the CLP, along with key HPG components. When asked for comment, the media relations department of the Estates-General issued the following statement: "It is the prerogative of the Terran Hegemony to recall their people and equipment as they see fit. This is not an Interdiction; the Hegemony was keen to underline that they respect our neutrality in the Clan War. As for our nation's communications need, the Estates General has already taken steps to ensure that alternate service will be available with a minimum of disruption. Citizens of the CLP should plan for some inconvenience at the beginning of the next month, but we expect full service to be restored by Mid-April."

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2010, 09:28:57 PM »
New ComStar Schism Brewing?
Primus says no, Wall Street says otherwise

MercNet Financial News (OUTREACH) - 24 March 3070

According to a written statement from Primus Mori first reported two days ago on Voice of Truth, there is no chance that the reconciliation conclave will cause a new schism in ComStar; the handful of high-level personnel who made a small but newsworthy scene while departing from Terra were merely a tiny dissident minority that did not represent the opinion of ComStar on the matter.

That's the party line.

However, according to a recent filing with the Terran Hegemony Stock Exchange, next week will see an initial public offering by a previous unheard-of corporation called "Opus Domini Communication's Services." Its prospectus? Delivering politically neutral hyperpulse generator communications to markets that have been neglected or underserved by ComStar and the Word of Blake.

I don't know about you, but it sounds like not all is happiness and roses on Hilton Head.

Don't count on an easy cash-in on cheap HPG stock though; Opus Domini filed with a par value of 150 million C-Bills a share. This is a luxury stock for the super-rich, not something that the average Harlech merc is going to look at for the company retirement plan.

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2010, 08:40:22 PM »
Leaked Minutes: "F.S. Shennanigans."
TH mulling retaliation for "pervasive" industrial espionage.

MercNet Financial News (OUTREACH) - 28 March 3070

Well folks, if the recently-leaked minutes from an emergency meeting of the TH Department of State are any indication, now's the time to dump you stock in GM. According to the classified documents obtained from a senior civil servant, ROM has identified at least five different attempts by Federated Suns-based corporations to steal secret military technology from the Hegemony, in contravention of both international law and the Star League charter. The activity, alternately described as "double-dealing shenanigans" and "a pervasive pattern of misconduct" are condemned in the strongest terms by senior TH officials, including the head of ROM's counterintelligence section.

According to the minutes, senior officials discussed a number of retaliatory measures that could be implemented against Federated Suns interests to punish the long-time ally's indiscretion without escalating the situation into a public crisis.

Which would have been a great idea if someone didn't then go and leak the meeting minutes.

TH officials, in response to inquiries from MFN, refused to confirm or deny the accuracy of the leaked document, and requested that MFN not broadcast or publish actual extracts of the classified document.

Parmenion

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2010, 10:41:24 PM »
At The Going Down Of The Fist

BBC Galactic (London-Terra) -  March 3070

Is the old Lyran Commonwealth refusing to roll over and die?  Or are they just too stubborn to face the inevitable? 

Reports today that one of the last systems recognising Lyran Commonwealth rule repulsed an assault from Clan Spirit Cat forces.  Caldarium, a former Rim World world, was subject to an clan trial style of assault from the traitorous Clanners.  The defending force, reportedly from the Magistracy of Canopus, shattered over half the attacking troops before allowing the rest to leave. 

In other Lyran news, reports from...

Marlin

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2010, 12:03:29 PM »
(If GMs have a Problem, just tell me so) Also, there needs to be looking into it as it seems there is a continuity issue.

Grunwald Associated Media

Alexander Carlyle BondsmanGrey Death Legacy gone or on the way to rebirth?

Grunwald, 10th April 3070

The Planet of Grunwald was beset by Clan Ice Hellion in the first days of March, blockading the System, the Clan’s saKhan was attending and announced his goals.

Hauptmann Alexander Carlyle,  de facto Commander of the prestigious 1st Royal Guards, but due to the shattered state of the Lyran nation still without promotion to appropriate Rank answered the call.

It is said both Commanders met in private to discuss the future of the hopeless 1st Royal Guards, the saKhan offering them the chance to stay as defenders of Grunwald and or surrounding systems while they must swear allegiance to the Ice Hellion Clan.

Carlyle took this offer to his comrades and after fierce discussions announced the negative outcome to the Clan Commander.

The battle, according to our sources in Clan fashion, took not long. The hardened Veterans of Beta Galaxy made short work of the 1st Royals, perhaps the offer had sapped some of their resolve?

Grunwald became part of the Hellion Clan, and Alexander is said to be the personal Bondsman of the saKhan Connor Rood.

What will now happen with the inheritor of the Carlyle-legend is to be seen. Will he become the epitome of Clan Warrior like Phelan Kell? Hardly, as he is too old. Will he ease the relationship between the Clan and the Lyrans now under their rule? Possible. Will he be the face of the Clan regarding future attacks on the Lyran remains? Likely.

We will keep you informed about the development.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:58:50 PM by Marlin »

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »
Where are the Missing Precentors?
Mysterious "Master" at Heart of Conspiracy, source says

The Starling Report - 18 April 3070

Hello, Truth Seekers, and welcome to the Starling Report. Today: Inside ComStar! Or at least as close as we can get with their Conclave in full swing.

Oh wait, did I say "Conclave," I mean "secret snow-job to hide the WOB takeover of the Media." Anyone notice that since the Conclave has been announced, all of ComStar's official announcements have come as press releases given exclusively carried by Voice of Truth.

So did you see the news conference held by Gavin Dow? If so you're better than me because despire the Conclave being "in session" for two weeks now, Gavin Dow isn't on Terra. Don't believe me? Check out the travel manifest at##35!%!#! to this report. ComStar paid up front for Dow's tickets, but the last f%#*#####*!)%!%#*!%*##!%)!%#*)%!# got redeemed.

Well, maybe he got the flu or something. So how about Precentor New Avalon? Funny, h##!%!(&!%(&!(%(!%#######%))#()#()#(#(#############

This is a customer service advisory. We regrets to inform you that a data corruption error has occured and "The Starling Report - 18APR70" is not available at this time. Our faithful Acolytes are working hard to resolve this problem, but presently there is no timeframe for the restoration of this content. Please reference the helpful links below for other stories that may be of interest to you.

Dave Baughman

• Dux Bellorum
  • Senior Lieutenant
  • Four Seals Remain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2011, 07:30:36 PM »
Grumium Holds The Line -- Again
Heroic Kungsmarin Repel Terran Agressors!

Orestes Free Press (ALSHAIN) - 27 April 3070

Earlier today, Orestes Free Press received confirmation of the rumors you've all be hearing - Terran ground and naval forces have been completely repelled from the Grumium star system. After taking personal command of the system defenses, Varldherr Marcus Ibrahimović directed Kungsmarin carrier units in a brilliant defense of the system that took advantage of Grumium's unusual distance from the system's jump point.

Reports are still unclear, but it is believed that several Terran carriers were sunk, including at least one belonging to the sinister "Shadow Divisions" of the Manei Domini cyborg terrorist force.

In a prepared statement, Ibrahimović stated:

"Today we witnessed first hand what the free men and women of our Dominion can accomplish in the defense of liberty. To the Terran agressors I say this: what you felt today at Grumium is only a small taste of what the Rasalhague people have in store for you. Come back if you dare, but know that if you make that terrible error you will drown in your own blood! För dödsfall eller ära!"

Daemonknight

• Imperium Magistratus
  • High Lord Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2011, 03:20:16 AM »
Are The Rumors True?
The Orestes Free Press reveals the truth behind various rumors and theories

Orestes Free Press (ALSHAIN) - 30 April 3070

For well over a month, rumors have circulated both within the Clan Occupation Zones, and across the Inner Sphere, about what exactly happened when the Tharkad Martyrs attacked Tharkad. Some reports state that Archon Robert was killed in the fighting, his body so badly mauled as to make positive identification impossible. Others theorize that the Martyrs captured him and are even now, torturing him for the last vestiges of Lyran military and political secrets, before executing him. A final theory suggests that the Clan jumpships that departed during the attack might have actually carried the Archon away to Clan space, a prisoner of the invaders, to be used as an example of the 'decadent Successor Houses' the Clans are said to despise so fiercely.

Recently however, news from across the Sphere, originating from the capital of the Union of Independent Worlds, the planet Arluna, have shed light on the situation, which could be far more convoluted than any of the previous theories claimed. Facts are sketchy at best, as the Jade Falcons(apparently the Clan most involved with the Archon at this time) are not forthcoming with details, but a few choice bits of information have been gleaned through careful questioning on the part of the OFP's reporters within the UIW. The following information, unless otherwise noted, is the best information the OFP has been able to confirm. The strength of these confirmations should be considered fairly strong, but new information will be released as it is discovered.

-Mere days before the Association of Tharkad Martyrs launched their coup, a transmission was sent out by Archon Robert, attacking the motives of the Clans for continuing their assault on his beleaguered nation. It is unknown at this time exactly what the Archon was attempting to accomplish, but he was swiftly answered by a single Clan Jade Falcon jumpship. It has been confirmed, that the jumpship carried an envoy from the Falcons, who was doubling as personal representative of the ilKhan herself. It is unknown what level of contact the envoy had with the Archon before the attack was launched.

-During the attack, barely hours before Martyr soldiers entered the Heidelberg Kazerne, 2 dropships left in quick succession from Tharkad, and made their way unmolested to their jumpships at Tharkad's nadir jump point. It has been speculated that one of these jumpships was indeed the Jade Falcon vessel that brought the ilKhan's envoy. There have been confirmed reports that one of these dropships carried the Star Adder warrior, Charlemagne Steiner(confirmed by sources within the FWLM, who sent a transmission to the Martyr flagship).

-Archon Steiner was seen in the presence of Clan Jade Falcon officers on Arluna, during a closed-doors meeting between various Clans and Sphereoid nations on Arluna. Participants included the Union of Independent Worlds, Clan Jade Falcon, Clan Star Adder, Clan Ice Hellion, and Archon Robert Kelswa-Steiner. Unconfirmed reports state that the Free Worlds League maintains a diplomatic presence on the planet, but it is not known if the FWL representative was in attendance at this meeting. It is also unconfirmed that Clan Steel Viper has a presence on Arluna.

-The Terran offensive into the Dominion was closely followed by a flurry of jumpship and warship activities around Arluna, and the UIW's budding naval hub of Kowloon. It is known that a number of orbital dockyards and warship-capable shipyards are under construction, although reports indicate that the UIW does not have the economic strength to undertake the projects at their current magnitude without substantial foreign capital. Several warships, matching rough descriptions of Clan-esthetic warships, have been seen around Kowloon in recent months, largely believed to be one of the primary naval battlegroups of Clan Jade Falcon.

-Archon Robert has not been seen within UIW space since the Terran attacks into Dominion territory. Also absent has been the Falcon saKhan, who was apparently on planet before the Archon, although he was unable to be identified previously as it was not known untill after his departure he had even been on the planet.

-Reports indicated that Evelyn Mosovich, formerly a General within the LCAF, was sighted returning to her home region, now the Union of Independant Worlds. However, after brief sightings at the spaceport, once a number of weeks ago, and again recently, admist the flurry of activity surrounding Arluna after the Terran-Dominion conflicts started.

Of course, the astute reader will realize that there is not crystal clairity in this report, as many of the bits of information are quite vauge. Assumptions are largely made based on the availible information, and from what has been correlated thus far, it seems that the Jade Falcons have potentially acquired a powerful ally in the Inner Sphere, in the form of the legal ruler of the Lyran Commonwealth. No doubt the illegal Arc Royal Estates General will discount such talk, claiming that they have eradicated the Lyran Commonwealth by conquering Tharkad, and burning the Article so Acceptance. Scholars of history understand that it takes more than such measures to truly eradicate a nation, and we feel that we have not seen the last of Archon Bobby Kelswa-Steiner.
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."
-Last thoughts of Maldon, Type XXX Bolo, 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade

Deathrider6

« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2011, 04:51:31 AM »
ISAP- Thorin May 10th,3070

Terror Strikes Home!  Two days ago an attempt to destroy the HPG message routing facilities was thwarted THAF personnel. The people responsible have yet to be apprehended and initial reports place blame on Free Skye terrorists.  In a surprise press conference the local Provost Marshal announced that the Tharkan Martyrs were actually responsible.

In further news,  parties unknown succeeded in destroying communications facilities on Murphid and Zebebelgenubi  . Initial reports pointed to the Free Skye movement but were unconfirmed as of this broadcast. When asked the Word of Blake commented that they were still investigating but had ruled out the Free Skye Movement as the responsible party.

Cannonshop

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2011, 03:34:41 AM »
Solaris in Flames! Silesia Spaceport under siege
-A News from The Edge special report

Radical elements believed to be sponsored by the Tharkan Martyrs launched what many analysts are calling the largest and most extensive terrorist operation since the beginning of the insurgency here on Solaris Seven.  If you look behind me, you can see the smoke from the spaceport area of the Ethnic Lyran enclave of Silesia, particularly the smoke and fires burning near the space-port itself, where a force of Gladiators, former planetary militia, and what are believed to be a cadre of Tharkan Martyr 'Advisors' launched an all-out attack on the facilities there late this morning.  The spaceport area was considered a safe zone for offworlders caught in the chaos of the Insurgents' attacks, and with the spreading of the violence, it was lightly defended by a security detail.  That all changed this morning, as Insurgents and Terrorist forces launched their attacks.   With Free Worlds Legionaires still trying to pacify the Western end of Silesia, UIW peacekeeping forces from the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Unit were dispatched to relieve the garrison, however reports indicate that the UIW forces have encountered much stiffer and more determined resistance-possibly resistance advised by the Tharkan Martyrs, a racist-Nativist splinter group that late last year staged a violent and blood-soaked coup in the Lyran Commonwealth, a coup that has resulted in thousands of documented atrocities, with evidence of thousands upon thousands more.

Embedded Reporter Laura Maines is with Bravo Company, Third Marine Battalion, Third Regiment of the Inarcs Jaegers, with more details, Laura?

Thanks Paulie, love your tie by the way-as you can see... {BOOM!!!}...burning-those were Hetzers this morning,  The Marines are under strict rules of engagement, which has hampered their ability to call on air-sup- {BOOM!!!} ...asualties have been light so far, but Captain Dorland tells me that they haven't yet reached the main body of the attacking forces.  These are different from previous encounters near this area, the insurgents are well-coordinated and have managed to isolate defending troops on the south side of the drop-port area, while placing a large blocking force in close proximity to civilians trapped in buildings here on the north side...

august

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2011, 09:15:09 PM »
CLP Unlocks Secrets of the HPGs!
Newswire Arc-Royal

When all comstar personnel abandoned the HPGs in the CLP earlier this month, it gave rise to widespread trepidation; that our young nation would be born dumb and blind, under the shadow of interdiction. These fears have come to naught in the face of an accomplishment that speaks to the will and ingenuity of the Lyran people: we are the first nation in the Inner Sphere to maintain a working HPG network outside of Terra's influence. The Estates General today announced the formation of CLP Communications, a government office employed skilled HPG technicians that will keep our nation's communications needs met even in dark times! Intrepid local technicians have already restored the HPGs on all CLP worlds and those destroyed by Comstar will be rebuilt in the coming months, furthering our nation along the path to freedom, prosperity, and peace. No matter what events may press down upon us, the Lyran people remain strong and defiant in the face of all obstacles.

Daemonknight

• Imperium Magistratus
  • High Lord Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2011, 04:47:25 AM »
New Marshal of the Armies announced!
INN- New Avalon

After a brief speech proclaiming that the Suns will be returning to their militaristic roots, both in terms of modernization of tactics and infrastructure, First Prince Yvonne Steiner-Davion made a very suprising announcement, naming the newest members of her inner circle. Two of her brothers, Victor and Arthur Steiner-Davion were named as Special Advisors to the First-Prince, shocking because little has been heard of Victor since the assassination attempt on Terra, though it's been known for weeks that he was returning to the Federated Suns; and Arthur has been near-silent except for an unconfirmed report of his being on Robinson during the brief ComStar/WMD conflict that sprung up there months ago.

By for the most suprising however, is the new Marshal of the Armies, former Clan Ghost Bear Khan, Cameron Kabrinski. Many of the existing High Command expressed concern about a Clan bred warrior, one of their 'trueborns' none the less, in command of the Federated Suns military. However, none of them could fault Marshal Kabrinski's strategic acumen, proved during a wargame 2 months ago in which he led a solo regiment of battlemechs against an entire RCT and was vicorious.
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."
-Last thoughts of Maldon, Type XXX Bolo, 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade

GreyJaeger

« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2011, 10:56:28 AM »
Bombs Explode Within the Imperial Palace!!
Luthien- The camera focuses in on a pretty, red-haired Japanese woman. It is dusk, and in the distance several fires and smoke can still be seen. Emergency vehicles are coming and going, and the whole area is under the strobe effect of hundreds of police, ambulance, fire, and other emergency vehicles strobe lights. "This is Naomi Nakamura, reporting from just outside the security cordon surrounding the Palace. Officials have been tight-lipped officially, but they have released some details. At approximately 0847 Local time, a series of explosions rocked the inner city. Unofficial stories of gunfire coming from the palace have been reported, but not confirmed. As the first wave of emergency personnel arrived, a second series of bombs detonated, killing and maiming police, fire, and medical emergency personnel. Minutes later, a third series of explosions went off, keeping emergency responders away and unable to render assistance. We do not expect to receive official reports for several more hours, but that is normal from the Draconis Combine. Once we have official news, we will report it. From Imperial City, this is Naomi Nakamura, reporting.