3059 - Operation SERPENT
1 (5.9%)
3048 - Pre-Operation REVIVAL***Last IS + Clan Campaign***
4 (23.5%)
3039 - War of 3039
8 (47.1%)
3014 - Marik Civil War
0 (0%)
3085 - Republic of the Sphere(at Crunch's request)
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: The Next FGC...  (Read 8362 times)  Share 

Daemonknight

• Imperium Magistratus
  • High Lord Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Next FGC...
« on: April 11, 2012, 04:18:42 AM »
As we all know, Dave has been busy working on the new rules for the FGC 91 campaign, that began as the FGC 62 campaign on CBT.com several years ago. It's gone through many changes, both in rules and leadership, and right now, it's in such a state of limbo. Dave has decided that untill he can get the new rules made up, the game will stay in a state of lockdown. The future of that much loved FGC campaign nessecitates a new brand of rules, some simply more detailed, and others totally different in operation.

However, that leaves many of us in a difficult position. With no alternate FGC running on Intelser, we've had to look to CBT.com to have any hope of an operational FGC. But with that iteration of the FGC dying out, and the lack of a Solaris 7 game, there is a decided lack of a continuous Battletech-themed strategic roleplaying game.

I asked Dave's permission and recieved it: I'm starting a fresh FGC. I'm using the currently published rules, so as to remove the difficulties faced by the previous CBT.com attempt. We have a fully functional set of rules. True, some areas don't have much going for them(I'm looking at you, Research and Communictations), but those can be worked on- whats really important, is that the economic and military rules WORK. True, they could be improved, but that's what Dave is doing. And we all know how annoying it can be to build a faction for a current ruleset, and then find out that some aspect is changing, and you're not able to function the way you are accustomed to.

That WILL NOT be happening with this game. We have a stable ruleset for everything but the two sets of rules listed above, Communications, and R&D. If and when those rules change, there will be an announcment well in advance, and depending on how the rules are changed, everyone will have an opportunity to get a good long look at the new rules before they are active. But they won't be changing anytime soon(in the case of research, there simply isn't any).

First thing's first: this thread is to be used only for voting on which era of the BT universe we would like to start. I will leave it upto you, the players, to choose your favorite starting point. Once the start point is chosen, we will have open registration. People will choose which faction they wish to join, although if I find that some factions are very over represented versus very under-represented, I may have to lock some factions down. Faction registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis, BUT not until registration opens after the era is chosen.

I welcome you all to both Intelser.org, and our new FGC. I hope we can all have a great time together.
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."
-Last thoughts of Maldon, Type XXX Bolo, 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade

Daemonknight

• Imperium Magistratus
  • High Lord Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Next FGC...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 05:12:24 PM »
Okay, it's awesome that we have 6 votes already for this campaign and it's been less than a full day, I hope everyone is talking to their CBT buddies and trying to convince them to come join us over here.

Just so I can get a quick headcount, who exactly has voted already? You don't have to tell us which vote was yours if you don't want to, I'm just curious to see who is interested in playing. So far the votes are pretty spread out, with only the 3048/Pre-Revival Era having more than a single vote.
"My only regret is that I will not be alive in .03 seconds. I would have liked to watch the enemy attempt to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear blast enveloping their outpost."

Jaim Magnus

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 05:19:48 PM »
I'd really like to cast a vote, but apparently I can't.

Daemonknight

• Imperium Magistratus
  • High Lord Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 05:41:39 PM »
Don't know if it helped or not Jaim, but I modified your membergroups. Try again, if it doesn't work, tell me your vote and I'll put it up myself.

Ian Sharpe

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »
I've voted, but in the end, I just want to play as the Elsies this time. 

Crunch

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:18:17 PM »
I voted '67, BUT '85 would be my real choice.

Cannonshop

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 04:20:56 AM »
we'll see.  It looks like '48 is leading the boards, but there's still time left.

Daemonknight

• Imperium Magistratus
  • High Lord Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 04:37:26 AM »
Wow, I was not expecting such a sudden surge of interest. 8 votes already, and atleast one more would be cast, but for technical issues. I was truly hoping for a minimum of 10 players, and it seems we are close to that number. Assuming we are going with the most popular starting era, we're looking at the pre-game warm ups for Operation REVIVAL, which should make for some VERY interesting goings on, both among the Clan and Inner Sphere players.

The factions that will be availible for play at the beginning of the game(assuming the OpRev Era start date) are as follows:

Lyran Commonwealth/FedCom
Federated Suns/FedCom
Free Worlds League
Draconis Combine
Capellan Confederation
Free Rasalhauge Republic
Clan Jade Falcon
Clan Wolf
Clan Ghost Bear
Clan Smoke Jaguar

GreyJaeger

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 08:05:52 AM »
I hate to be one of those guys, but I am game for anything. I have a preference for the earlier Eras, rather than later. So, I am Voting for all.

Marlin

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »
I'd want a rather small one so voted FWL civil war. The pre invasion we are currently headed at seems too large to me in scope to do. Rather some factions with some players than many with 1 or less, shutting some down and burning out the GMs. (in this case, the one)

But I would try it once more. More low tech would be nice, Clan vs Sphere was on most of the time and I would want a change.

Or would I really wanna do Smoke Jags? In balanced games their fat machines would only loose, in not so balanced ones, they would be terror. Or glutton myself on the need of others for my weaponry as Marik Captain? Or hamper all his actions as Substate? (dont wanna really be alone in a faction)

:) I am getting in the mood again, obviously.

Daemonknight

• Imperium Magistratus
  • High Lord Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 08:45:02 PM »
So, Marlin's request for a smaller game, aswell as Crunch wishing for a, '85 game...would anyone be interested in playing out the Wars of Reaving? So ignore the Inner Sphere and play just the Homeworlds? It would be actually much more detailed, since we have the exploded Homeworlds map availible to us, which would allow us to put a lot more detail into our games.

I'm also open to having a secondary game at that small scale open, but only as long as it doesn't draw away too much interest from the main game. I'd rather have 1 game with a lot of players, even if it isn't what everyone wants, than cater to 2 games that have barely enough players to remain fun.

Crunch

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 12:08:05 AM »
So, Marlin's request for a smaller game, aswell as Crunch wishing for a, '85 game...would anyone be interested in playing out the Wars of Reaving? So ignore the Inner Sphere and play just the Homeworlds? It would be actually much more detailed, since we have the exploded Homeworlds map availible to us, which would allow us to put a lot more detail into our games.

I'm also open to having a secondary game at that small scale open, but only as long as it doesn't draw away too much interest from the main game. I'd rather have 1 game with a lot of players, even if it isn't what everyone wants, than cater to 2 games that have barely enough players to remain fun.

I would try it, but honestly I hate playing clan and don't do it well. I'd be much more enthusiastic for a FWL splinter game.

Daemonknight

• Imperium Magistratus
  • High Lord Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 01:56:11 AM »
That could be arraigned, but as I said, it would have to not impact the main game's ability to function smoothly.

Daemonknight

• Imperium Magistratus
  • High Lord Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 04:42:33 AM »
I have enabled vote changing, as I know that Crunch was after a 3085 setting. Feel free to change your votes if you so wish. I've also removed the 4th Succession War and the FedCom Civil War, as they've gained no attention, and even if people came in for them, I doubt it would derail any of the already picked options.

Since we have 9-10 people here ready to go, I'd really like if we could have this wrapped up by Monday, Wensday at the latest. For those people who have the sole vote in a timeslot, I'm sorry, but the game is going to be starting in the area with the majority interest. If you'd please change your vote to one of the front running timeslots, so I know which of the prefered eras to start in, I would greatly appreciate it. If/when we get enough players that I'm comfortable with running a second game, perhaps it would be better served in the more focused campaign.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:46:57 AM by Daemonknight »

Marlin

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 10:35:47 AM »
No matter what is done, I will take a look at it. Reaving is not my thing as I would not like to kill Clans off. Never was in favor of that, except in some cases of gross betrayal of course, but well. The Civil War would be cool, but hey, if the players are good in any game and it runs ok, why not?

anything